Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk News - new URL, and feedback wanted

CityDesk News will now be located at http://citydesknews.com. Bookmark the new location!

The Fog Creek CityDesk crew is interested in hearing some of your feedback about CityDesk News. Do you think this site should contain general news about web design, even if it's not directly related to CityDesk? Or only CityDesk specific news? What would you change about CityDesk news to make it more useful?

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, November 12, 2002

"You are not authorized to view this page" is it just me?

tk

Its not just you. 

Jeff Kolker

The actual link is: http://citydesknews.com/ without the dot at the end!

John C

Speaking personally I like reading about web design related stuff. I'm a fan of reading things and thinking "that's a good idea, I can do that on my site [using CityDesk of course]". Obviously info directly related to CityDesk is even better.

John C

I'd like a link from the forum to the news page.

I'd prefer CityDesk web publishing links of interest of CityDesk users.  I guess that could be about anything.

I'm not sure if it's Marketing 101-safe but I would have liked to first hear about "Contrubute" in CityDesk news.

tk

Most companies do not comment on what competitors are doing, but concentrate on their product, and what they are doing for their customers. ..

I like the idea of web development news, but I would prefer if the development knews was related to, or could be utilized in, CityDesk.  After all, there are a zillion places where you can get design tips, but not too many related to CityDesk.

I would like to see more comment about what the plans are for future development of CityDesk.  It doesn't have to be too specific or actually related to the next release, but goals for the future, ideas being toyed with, etc.  Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Thanks for listening......

Jeff Kolker

I like seeing the general web design links in CityDeskNews, and it's even better when they are related back to some CityDesk-specific advice, like the October 22 and October 15 entries.

It's interesting to see links to new sites made with CityDesk, too.

Darren Collins

I'm sure most companies don't but most companies aren't Fog Creek.  That's my point.  As a Fog Creek customer competitive information probabaly builds my loyalty instead of driving me away.  I'm not thinking of a point by point comparison (that might happen on the forum though).

I think competitive info is of tremendous interest to CityDesk folks.  This cost of switching to another product is many times the purchase price.  The CityDesk developer probably has to use a number of different products to get the jobs done.

tk

I like the news site as it is, but find the CD-related news more interesting. What I do miss though is some signs of reaction to all the ideas and suggestions that fine an well meaning people is coming up with in the Forum – just a tiny bit of feedback. That might stimulate our minds and bring forward even better ideas from us humble users. Many of us are honestly interested in the future of CD. Of course folks at Fog Creek are busy programming, or so I imagine, and I'm not asking you to give away secrets to your competitors, but a little glimpse of reflection once in a while would pay of, I'm sure :-)

Jorgen Brenting

I'd be interested in general type news, to a point. As long as it was still applicable to CD i.e. I could actually implement the ideas and suggestions in CD itself.

... or, build it into my pre-processor ;-)

Tim Jones

I'm mostly interested in:

1> strictly Citydesk-Centered Content : tips, howtos, new noticeable CD sites, news about future versions (I may always dream ?), good stories about CD developpement or CD deployement by real customers, updates in the fogcreek CD pages... That makes a lot of content possibilities.

2> others link not centered on CD but which may be easily related to CD-activities:  technologies that could complete CD, competitors & benchmarks, low cost CMS deployment methods, CMS success or failures stories, thoughts and strategic considerations about CMS...

(with this order of priority)

More general considerations about webdesign may be found elsewhere (webword, iaslash, xblog among others) and I'm not sure there is much added value in aggregating them in cdnews.

vincent benard
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

I'm interested in both CD and general web design stuff. e.g. I've recently been doing a site that uses both the coolmenus (from dhtml central) and the alladyn js api. Always good to read what else is going on.

Sam Strachan
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

How about dividing CityDesk news in different categories with a specific RSS channel divided by keywords ?

People could suscribe and unsuscribe through their personal news agregator ?

christophe ducamp
Thursday, November 14, 2002

"Do you think this site should contain general news about web design, even if it's not directly related to CityDesk?"

Yes yes!

"Or only CityDesk specific news?"

No no! CityDesk specific news is good, but I like it the way it is!

"What would you change about CityDesk news to make it more useful?"

I wouldn't change much. Maybe you could have a guest blogger like some other weblogs do. Overall, please do not change too much.

sf_fish
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

I think it's a good sign that since Joel asked for comments on the news page, no news has been published. That must mean that CD2 is near – almost like Christmas ;-)

Jorgen Brenting
Monday, December 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home