Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Another blog question

In the simple blog template there is a "divider" between the nav bar and the content.

There are variables to change all the colors and I know how to do that but that bar I don't know how to change because there is no variable.

You can see what I'm talking about at www.securitystrategies101.com

It's the bright yellow bar in a T shape that I'm talking about.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

Mark Singletary
Friday, November 08, 2002

The dividers you see are rows and columns with background color. But the background color in the body tag is defined like this: bgcolor={$.BlogForeground$}. That means that you have real bagcground color in the T-bar (row and column) and background=foreground ind the body-background (all the space around your table).

Both colors are defined in the variables list.

But something strange happens all by itself when you work with this template.

When you open the template in html mode the code looks like this:
<tr>
  <td colSpan=3 bgcolor="{$.BlogBackground$}">
    <br>
  </td>
</tr>

Switch to Normal View and back to html view and the same code looks like this as if by magic:
<tr>
  <td colSpan=3 bgcolor="#00ba00">
    <br>
  </td>
</tr>

But the bgcolor "#00ba00" is not the one defined in the variables list! Very strange. But if you make changes to the background color variable the changes will show up in Preview and of course when you publish.

Jorgen Brenting

Thanks for the quick answer!

I had previously changed all 4 color variables and previewed it and the yellow bar was still there.  So I published just to make sure and you can see that all the colors changed but the yellow bar. (These aren't final colors - I'm just learning).

So what am I missing?

Mark Singletary

In the variables list change the BlgBackground to say rgb(100,100,100) and you'll have a gray background and a gray t-bar. If not you have probably changed something else in your template.

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, November 09, 2002

Sorry, I wasn't right about the BODY background tag. The background=BlogForeground is set in the main table which holds all the content. This only affects the 'head area' in the bottom right corner.
BUT:
If you view your site ( www.securitystrategies101.com ) with IE the yellow T-bar is still there. If you view it with Mozilla the T-bar is white as the background around the main table. Something is definitely wrong in the CD-generated code here. I think that Mozilla gives you the true picture, and that IE gives a false one. Not very reassuring, I think. I'll look through my own sites with Mozilla right away

Jorgen Brenting
Sunday, November 10, 2002

I just glanced at the markup.  My guess is that the IE site Yellow border showing is because ie is in quirk mode.  This is because of the fogcreek comment at the top of the mark-up.  This topic has been discussed endlessly here in past postings.

Whether having the comment above the doctype is actually counter to the html spec has been discussed as well.  It seems that you can read the spec either way.  At any rate I am sure the Fogcreek people are well aware of the issue.

...tick tick tick .. can't wait for that next version of CityDesk!

Joel C. Goldstick

Ooops.  My last post was too hasty.  I looked at the source a bit more.  I found this:

The bgcolor value (following the colSpan) is split with a hard line-break.  I got rid of that and the top yellow bar went away.  Probably another one of those in there somewhere to cause the vertical yellow bar.

<span class="BlogTitle">Simple Weblog <font size=2><i>Brought to you by CityDesk<sup>TM</sup> from Fog Creek Software</i></font></span>

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
  <td colSpan=3 bgcolor="#ffffff
">
    <br>
  </td>

Joel C. Goldstick

I just checked http://www.securitystrategies101.com and didn't see any yellow.  Not sure Mark if you've solved what you were trying to get at.  Any questions please post here or email me.

Charles Reich
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Hey it looks the same in o6 ns7 and ie6 on windows now.  How did you solve the yellow t situation?

Joel C. Goldstick
Thursday, November 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home