Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Got a new flaky screen

I've got a crazy CityDesk screen I haven't seen before.  No problem though.  It's the top image:

http://tk-jk.net/city/Articles/Myflakyscreens.html

tk
Monday, November 04, 2002

Did the problem go away when you rebooted? I've seen this sort of thing on other software before and a reboot has cured it. Never worked out if it was the software or Windows' fault!

John C
Tuesday, November 05, 2002

I have seen stuff like that before too, about 2 days ago. Can't recall if it was just images though.

However all my graphics icons are just the standard windows-unknown-file-type. They used to be OK until I installed Paint Shop Pro and assigned it gif, jpg & png. Its irritating. I have tried uninstalling both and reinstalling in different orders, but to no avail.

Richard

I've had similar screens.  I'll guess this is a Windows resource problem.  When Its happened to me, I close down my 5 to 10 other open windows and sometimes things come back to normal.  Usually though, its a good time to close down everything and reboot (I am running WinMe)

Joel C. Goldstick

Buggy display drivers can do this, too.

Pat Rice

This stuff is rare and always goes away when I close down some programs.  Very rarely I have to reboot.  But these sorts of things only seem to happen to CityDesk screens.

tk

Hi there,

the black boxes around the icons is  IMHO an icon resource problem. I'm shootin' from the hip here, but you'll find lots about the (absurd) restrictions in icon resources that persist - even in Win2K code - on MSDN.

The other one has happened just like that to me twice now, and I also have only ever seen it in CD. No suggestions, sorry. I rebooted and that cleared it.

JR

James Roberts

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home