Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

XHTML support

I'm thinking about using CityDesk for one of my clients and I'm not very familiar with CityDesk yet, but can anybody tell me how to use CityDesk for a site written in XHTML? Since my client (and me too) doesn't want to transfer back to HTML and later be forced to transfer to XHTML again...

Bas
Monday, October 21, 2002

I'm not sure why you're worried that valid XHTML 1.0 won't be "supported."

You can certainly make sure that all of your templates and stylesheets, etc. conform to XHTML standards, but that is the web developers job.  CityDesk doesn't do any validating of HTML, XHTML, CSS, javascript, etc...

Can you be more specific about what your concern is?

Charles Reich
Thursday, October 24, 2002

The following discussion: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=4473&ixReplies=1 has some thoughts on "cleaning up" citydesk output, if that is what you are after.

Charles Reich
Thursday, October 24, 2002

There is one major place where CityDesk fails with XHTML -- and that's when you use the extras (Extra 1, Extra 2, Bio, Sidebar, Teaser). The default HTML generated there -- with no way to get at the HTML behind it -- is not going to pass XHTML validation at all.

The good news is that if you copy/paste from IE or Mozilla where you have good XHTML, it will be preserved. Mostly.

The rest can be taken care of with RTidy/CityDesk which I'll be making available soon on my website.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Wednesday, October 30, 2002

Charles, sorry about this late reply, but I've been too busy with other projects. I'm afraid that, despite the template with valid XHTML, CityDesk will generate invalid XHTML. In the meantime, my client is using FlexWindow (I'm a FlexWindow reseller). With Flexwindow you can update your site by simply sending an e-mail! This only works in HTML but is was the fastest and easiest way to provide him with a CMS in one day.

With Flexwindow you can update your site by simply sending an e-mail! See www.flexwindow.com and subscribe for a free personal account to try it out.

Bas
Monday, January 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home