Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Running Tidy Recursively

In deciding to switch my site to XHTML, I decided to use Tidy to clean up CityDesk's limitations on this. I didn't like the idea of having to run it on each file manually and then uploading files without the benefit of CityDesk's "smart" upload.

Well, I have just completed the first version of a Ruby script which runs Tidy against all files listed in the citydesk.xml -- and then optionally (well, it will be optional as soon as I code it) uploads the files to a remote server.

If you're interested in using this, email me to try it -- I'm not quite ready to "make it public", but consider this a public beta. It works for me, and it works well ... but there may be some factors which make it work well for me that may make it work poorly for others. (It's also a console program right now. I won't "make it public" until I've gotten a GUI front end back on it.)

I'm also trying to make it a single .exe file so that users who want to use this don't have to have Ruby installed separately. (It'll probably be a large .exe file, but it should work.)

Austin Ziegler
Saturday, October 19, 2002

Could Tidy be integrated into the CP v2?  That would be really nice.  Can this be done by inserting tidy in the preview configuration

Joel C. Goldstick
Saturday, October 19, 2002

I think that the Fog Creek folks are planning on adding this to CDv2, but what I'm creating/providing is a standalone program which you will run from CityDesk as a preview program on a local file copy version of the website (I don't know what will happen when you try to provide a remote version -- I haven't protected against that!).

The program is pretty much complete (0.99b) and is only not being yet widely released because I don't have the correctly compiled core to be able to provide the GUI version easily (it's there, but it won't work as an EXE).

I'll be posting more information on this on my website (http://www.halostatue.ca) in the not too distant future (particularly after I get the help file completed), as well as making the source available.

Austin Ziegler
Wednesday, October 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home