Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

which pages have been changed?

I am new to CityDesk and also to HTML design - perhaps there is an easy way to solve this ...

On my home page I want to show a list of the last 10 pages I changes on the site (or the pages I changed in the last few days) - remind you - not only added pages, also changed pages.

In case I am missing something (then all of this is obsolete), only the creation date is added/maintained automaticly on a page, an additional field about change date and time would be nice.

Unfortunately I will need a way to enable/disable this field on a page basis, there might be index pages which I update, but don't want to show in my list.

This whole thing can get complicated quickly, and I can also see the demand for more and more fields. As I have seen, other users overload the existing fields (teaser etc.) for various uses. This is of course a way out of this misery, but a general mechanism for the citydesk user to create his own fields (custom properties on a site of page basis) would be great. This might end up as a bottomless whole, since the next thing I will ask for is a programmatic way to fill those fields from some user code (ever thought of hosting a scripting engine or the new MS managed runtime (CLR) in the editing engine) ... hmmm - sorry - I am degressing ...

anyway ... thanks for reading so far ...
I enjoy this product.

Wolfgang
www.manousek.net

Wolfgang Manousek
Tuesday, October 15, 2002

just saw the request for 'revisiondate' some topics back ...

well, guess my topic is 'old news' (set revisiondate=<beginning of time>), still I like the ideas of user defined properties ;-)

Wolfgang
www.manousek.net

Wolfgang Manousek

User-defined fields have been suggested by lots of people, too. Let's keep our fingers crossed for CityDesk 2.0!

Darren Collins

I just had a bad feeling about new CityDesk fields.  What if I use the variable "publishdate" and SP2 has a new field called "publishdate?"

I'll worry about that tomorrow.

tk

Sure - nome conflicts are a good point ...
perhaps it is a good time for a clean cut, make some naming conventions in the next release, i.e. all citydesk variables start with 'fg_' (fogcreek) or 'cd_' (you guess why ;-) or some other naming convention.

It should be fairly easy to write a tool converting current CityDesk databases to the new format...

Wolfgang
www.manousek.net

Wolfgang Manousek
Wednesday, October 16, 2002

May be request for a good global search/replace ?
Because if we ask for unique names, may be the fog0000051 like things may come back and that is not what we want.... we want clear names...!

Adriaan van den Brand

Global HTML search yes.

That reminds me that that we have a magnifying glass icon on the main window but not in the article editor.

tk

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home