Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

feature req:  sort order for folder view

a feature request -- when I'm viewing a folder with a lot of article entries (for ex., "News") it would be great to be able to sort by other attributes than just name

(for ex., ascending/descending by date/time...)

vinod v
Saturday, October 12, 2002

but please watch out... I am also using the order in which folders occur.... So sorting is ok, as long as the natural order is also preserved somehow.

As for folders: I find it difficult to rearrange the order. A normal database looks like

index
[] templates
[] images
[] folder1
[] folder2
[] folder3
(where [] is used for folders)

If I want to drag templates or images to the bottom, they will show up in folder3. My work around is to have a lot of dummy articles (not published) in the root between all folders. But this is not a clean way of work.

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, October 14, 2002

Adriaan, another way to do it is to create the new article at the top, and then move it down using Ctrl-D. But if you have a large number of folders, it's slow and frustrating.

Darren Collins
Monday, October 14, 2002

This is what I've learned, I'm anxious to hear better ideas.

Before you drag or Ctrl-D a folder, close all the folders.  Seems like a dragged folder always ends up in another folder.

If you drag an article, maximize the height of the window and don't drag it past the bottom of the window.  Do successive "in-the-window" drags.

If you are importing an image into an article, your image file probably won't end up where you want it (like in an image folder).  So if I'm doing a lot of images or dragging them into a big site, I'll drag the images from Win Explorer to where they belong in the site, before I insert them into an article.

This doesn't solve everything but makes it a little better.

tk
Monday, October 14, 2002

Thanks. I was not aware of the ctrl-d trick... I'm still learning.... ;-)

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, October 15, 2002

don't forget ctrl+U for up

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, October 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home