Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

No support for <Hn> tags in GUI article editor?

Have I missed something here?  Perhaps I am simply dense.  I've read as much as I can find so far and haven't seen this addressed.

I typically write using heads and subheads, perhaps because I view things hierachically.  Using CSS to define styles for <H1> through about <H4> lets me define the visual hierarchy of my content without a lot of indenting.  This lets me keep my text-column width reasonably narrow without it becoming ridiculously narrow when things get to level 3 (or even level 4 on those rare occasions).

All I see in the article editor is a text-size formatting drop-down though.  Do people actually use this much?  Most of my web pages use only maybe two text sizes except in the heads/subheads.

Yes, you can hand-code the HTML of course, but this seems to defeat the purpose of the GUI article editor.

Using text-size and color for heads/subheads can be done but it is a little clumsy and quite limiting.  When I define styles for <Hn> tags I often change the "leading" (i.e. top and bottom margin widths) as well as the font face, size, decoration, and color.  A heading-picker dropdown with H1-H6 (and "normal" or <P> to drop the <Hn> tags) would be helpful to me.

Comments or suggestions on this would be very welcome.

Bob Riemersma
Saturday, October 12, 2002

Hi Bob:

AIUI, there is no built-in support for many tags in the editor, most notable Hn, and tables are missing too!

The work-round is just to code them in the HTML view. that works fine,

J.

PS It's of course impossible to support *all* tags, but maybe they missed one here :-)

- I suspect the HTML component they are using may be involved here... V2.01 will no doubt fix this ;-)

James Roberts

in the mean time, if you don't want to code HTML, you may consider using a few variables.
E.g. {$.H1$} and {$.endH1$}
these should be defined as
<H1>
and
</H1>
respectively (similar for the h2, h3 etc.)

Downside: this way they won't look big in the editor.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for 2.0.....

Adriaan van den Brand

Bob Riemersma wrote: "Yes, you can hand-code the HTML of course, but this seems to defeat the purpose of the GUI article editor."

My experience has been that the GUI editor is more trouble than it's worth.  I only use it to make minor edits, like inserting links to outside articles.

Alex Chernavsky

Well, by GUI editor I was referring to the WYSIWYG article editor - that is, the "Normal View" in the article editor.

I'd much rather spend my site-update efforts banging out content there than flipping over to the HTML View to insert things like heading markup.  If you have people w/o HTML experience entering or editing articles the HTML View does nothing but freak 'em out anyhow.

The idea of using variables might work, but for now I just have people stick to Normal View and use text size/color/bold/italic modifications and such to do their headings.  This means sacrificing font-face and leading changes, but it works.  A lot of frogging around but they make a bigger mess if I have them try to put in <Hn> tags in HTML View.

Bob Riemersma

I forgot to mention a better solution (which is why I don't need it too much):

If headings (H1..) are in your template, together with fields, then your problem is half solved.

This is ok for a page title (but not for smaller headings inside the text).

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, October 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home