Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

KnowledgeBase Structure

I'm using CD to set up a departmental knowledgebase. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards any materials (like white papers) that they found useful in determining the best way to structure the content and the ways of getting to the content for this sort of application.

Thanks in advance.

Case
Tuesday, October 08, 2002

The book "Content Critical" might help you. Since you're using CityDesk, it should be easy to generate a variety of index pages to help people find what they're after - e.g. articles sorted by department, articles sorted by date, articles sorted by topic, etc.

And make sure you've got a great search feature!

Darren Collins

http://www.communispace.com/documents/KnowingInCommunity.pdf

Quote from the first page:
"Using typical knowledge management methods to leverage tacit knowledge often results in information junkyards and empty libraries. At the heart of most knowledge management efforts is an attempt to document and share information, ideas and insights so they can be organized, managed and shared. But documenting tacit knowledge frequently does more harm than good."

The gist of the article is, oh heck you just have to read it.  Based on my own experience, it struck me like a lightning bolt.

I've been in your shoes at least three of times and I was interested and enthusiastic.  It's easy to declare success when you publish some "stuff."  Whether anyone cares about the stuff one month later is another issue entirely.

Getting the knowledge is by far the toughest part, CityDesk should make the structure part easy and if you find a better structure, City will help you out.

But back to the article: Knowledge management isn't documentation,  it's about people interacting.  If I can channel Joel, "A good project team relies on hundreds of small interactions a day."

tk

Here's a great article not about Knowledge Bases per se, but about designing systems like that. A great read in any case about intranets, people's behaviour, and nifty parallels to real world urban planning (like why you might need the intranet equivalent of "police" and "traffic laws" to get your intranet Knowledge Base to work the way you want.)

You'll have to get this article out of Google's cache, since it's vanished from the author's site: http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:NxuStn-VYkcC:www.hevanet.com/demarest/marc/cot.html+cities+of+text&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Andrew
Friday, October 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home