Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A flaky screen

Have a look:
http://tk-jk.net/city/Articles/Myflakyscreens.html

Stuff like this happens to me from time to time.  Usually when I have a lot of programs open.  Most often with PhotoShop Elements but certainly not always.  Closing programs seems to help make it go away.

I blame myself.

tk
Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Don't blame yourself!

But it is most likely your OS (maybe not, it could be CityDesk or more likely VB runtime, but since the repaint problem is in the NON-CLIENT area - the borders around the windows and the titlebar - which is drawn by the OS, its likely your operating system).

Michael H. Pryor

OK, I'll blame Win98 then.  But it seems that CityDesk takes a worse beating than any other of my programs.  As I said, closing programs usually makes the problem go away.  I'm doing fine.

tk

If that's the case then I have a hunch its some interaction between Win98 and the VB runtime which does the drawing of forms.  But you probably don't know which of your other programs were written in VB, so its hard to test this theory...

Michael H. Pryor

In my experience Windows 2000 and XP have this kind of problems much less. I have seen them often on Win98/ME.

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Adriaan,

Do XP and 2000 have these problems once in while?  XP less than 2000?

tk
Wednesday, October 09, 2002

I've had weird menu-style probs (duplicate menu entries) in the variables editor just once, but had to do a shut-down and reboot to clear it.

Using Win2K/SP2.

James

James
Thursday, October 10, 2002

Terry,

Hardly. On ME I had an average of 5 reboots per day (because of applications not responding, blue screens etc.
and after upgrading to XP it became once per 3-4 weeks on the same computer with the same applications.

refresh bugs like yours do occur, but seldom.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, October 10, 2002

What video card are you using, and do you have the latest driver for it? Are you sure?

ns
Sunday, October 13, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home