Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

UI thoughts...

This one directed mainly to Joel:

I like most of the UI of CityDesk. But some thing I just don't understand: why you use a completely different set of icons in your application? I remember one of the most enlightening (spelling?) articles in your book to be about consistency. And I had hard times to find the "make link" button...

Now, I like the new buttons, and I like the high color icons, and such, buy I would have preferred a more consistent ones (with highcolor and everything, but keeping the old metaphors).

(what means the "make link" button, anyways? Oh, I see now... is a hand pointing to a "link". Clever, but too small and with those soft colors my grandma is going to have hard times to doing her stuff :-))

Leonardo Herrera
Sunday, November 11, 2001

Oh, and the Search dialog from the main form shows resize cursors when the mouse is positioned over any edge.

Leonardo Herrera
Sunday, November 11, 2001

I completely agree with this post about UI. Rather than reinventing the wheel, why not use the standard Windows apps UIs for standard operations? If you really want a new look, it better look more professional and recognizable....

Again, sorry to be picky.

Satoko Mellinger
Sunday, November 18, 2001

Personally I think that it is great that a different look has been used here! Something that catches the eye! I know that this could be a little harder for some to grasp at first (including myself) but working within a beautiful environment is a lot more enjoyable than the standard (borring??) windows look and feel, this was one of the main reasons I looked further into the CityDesk software... Our company develops content management software and I would love to have the resources/know-how to overhaul the whole look and feel in a similar fashion!

I think that most people will appreciate the change away from standard windows widgets and buttons. Although maybe there should be a few more screenshots in the help?

Great Job guys!

Justin Stenning
Sunday, November 18, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home