Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

XHTML, again...

Is there any way to force CD 1 SP 2 to generate valid (strict) XHTML from the teasers and other parts of the CD interface which do not have an HTML view? I'm trying to convert my site to xhtml1 and am having little luck with CD doing any of this.

I read an earlier article on XHTML that suggested that Tidy could take care of it -- is it possible to automate this so that when I publish, the files are then tidied and then uploaded to my FTP server using the CD mechanism?

Barring that, when is CD 2 expected that is supposed to fully support XHTML?

I love what CD does for me, but I'm hating what it doesn't do for me right now...

Austin Ziegler
Friday, September 27, 2002

You can automate it, by making a post publish action.  (After you publish and the dropdown that says Preview with Internet Explorer appears, select it and choose to add a new preview item).

You'll have to use an outside FTP program to push it up to the server though.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Okay -- stupid question, then. The post-action seems to run only on the root index. How do I tell tidy to clean up the whole site?

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Friday, October 04, 2002

Isn't there an option to tell tidy to do a directory recursively?

Then you can just point it at the publish location (e.g. c:\temp\publishedsite)

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, October 04, 2002

There is not, at this point. I can possibly script around it. I may go ahead and add the recursion capability to the source as well (I got it working with bcc32; I don't have mingw installed).

Austin Ziegler
Friday, October 04, 2002

I have just completed the first version of a Ruby script which runs Tidy against all files listed in the citydesk.xml -- and then optionally (well, it will be optional as soon as I code it) uploads the files to a remote server.

If you're interested in using this, email me to try it -- I'm not quite ready to "make it public", but consider this a public beta. It works for me, and it works well ... but there may be some factors which make it work well for me that may make it work poorly for others. (It's also a console program right now. I won't "make it public" until I've gotten a GUI front end back on it.)

I'm also trying to make it a single .exe file so that users who want to use this don't have to have Ruby installed separately. (It'll probably be a large .exe file, but it should work.)

Austin Ziegler
Saturday, October 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home