Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Page Imported from Internet not a CD "article"

I want to import a web page from the internet and have it show up on an index page that's using a foreach loop to display a list of CD articles contained in a given folder.  Can't make it work.  Is it possible to do this?

Imported page has no CD properties.

Tom Hutchinson
Friday, September 27, 2002

The foreach loop only "sees" articles.  So, you'll need to make an article out of your imported page.  Create an article, copy your imported page into the article.

tk

tk is right of cause, but if you copy a web page directly into the body of an article you will end up with double headers and double body tags. You have to cut the 'header' out of the web page and only insert the page's visible content.

Jorgen Brenting

Jorgan and Tom

You might not want to do a straight copy but you can without much fear of duplicate tags. The CityDesk article editor with throw out the extra html tags like head and body once you switch to normal view.

Not every one likes that CityDesk does that but it's mostly a convenience for me.

Another example: If you type "<P>some text" then switch to normal view and back to HTML view.  CityDesk will add the </P> so you'll get: "<P>some text</P>"

If you paste stuff into something other than a CityDesk article, CityDesk will leave your HTML or whatever alone.

tk

Thanks for the help!  It was easy to follow your instructions.

But I'm wondering -- what keeps CD from making an article out of a page imported from the Internet?  The "normal view" of the imported web page is precisely what I end up copying into the "article" required.  I should think it would be straightforward for CD to do this automatically.  Yes?

Tom Hutchinson
Sunday, September 29, 2002

It's worth looking at CopyBoy, which helps some:

http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy.html

There have been quite a few requests for more import juice from CityDesk.  Maybe we'll get some of it in a future release.

tk
Monday, September 30, 2002

Tom, importing a web page into an article is harder than it looks. How would CityDesk know which parts of the page were menus, headings, advertisements, copyright notices, etc?

It could just import the whole page into the body of an article, but you'd then have to edit the article to remove all that extra stuff. I find it easier to copy just the part of the web page I want, and paste that into the article body. In fact, I often paste as plain text and then re-insert links and stuff, just to make sure the new article ends up with the same fonts, formatting, etc as the rest of my site.

Darren Collins
Monday, September 30, 2002

Thank you, Darren. Just what I tried to say above.

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home