Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

FTP Progress Box shows previous err message

first publish errored out with
200 Type set to I.
227 Entering Passive Mode (63,116,135,130,204,37)
553 Could not determine cwdir: No such file or directory.

next time I went to publish, the same error message was on the FTP Progress box

Jeff Hotz
Sunday, November 11, 2001

When I tried publishing the first time, I got the following message (IP address removed):

200 Type set to I.
227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,124,12)

When I retried, the message wasn't still showing in the FTP Progress window, but it still failed.

I then switched off PASV mode for the location, and tried again.  This time, the previous message *was* still showing in the window, and remained there until the FTP failed again.

200 Type set to I.
200 PORT command successful.

For the record, the server is a Linux box running reasonably out-of-the-box RedHat 7.1 and the RPM wu-ftpd-2.6.1-16.

rOD.

rOD Begbie
Thursday, November 15, 2001

This is a sort of weird artifact of the FTP protocol.

When FTP was invented, it was intended to be used by a human on one end and a computer on the other. So FTP  is full of human-readable messages that are almost impossible for computers to deal with.

In particular, sometimes when something goes wrong, you get several messages back from the web server, and the one which indicates the REAL problem may not be the very last message.

So what WININET does is it gives us the last "few" messages,  as you've been seeing. I assume that WININET does this because Microsoft discovered somewhere there are web servers for which this is essential in order to see the actual error message...

We could strip off the older messages, but I figure if you're having FTP problems, you'd rather get more information rather than less.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, November 16, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home