Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

HELP! ~ .cty file corrputed

I've somehow corrupted my .cty file. My hard drive was completely full, like half a megabyte of free space left and I tried to open CityDesk and I got an error. I know I shouldn't have tried to do this, but I was downloading some files and didn't know it had gotten down so far.

Then I, like an idiot, decided to compact the database, thinking it would clear up some space enough for me to at least close it out properly, and well, it compressed it to half of the size it was.

Now that I've cleared up some space, the db is completely corrupted. Here are the errors I get when I try to open it:

Invalid Database Version
Fog Creek CityDesk could not open this site. The selected site has an invalid ID. Please either open or create a new site.

then when I click OK:

CityDesk
The file 'c:\etc.' could not be opened. It may be corrupt or it may not be a valid CityDesk file.

I had thought I backed it up about a month ago, but I can't find the archive... Maybe if I look through my CD's. I think I'm going to have to re-create my site and copy/paste the text back in and re-create all the links and such. While I had wanted to do a site re-design, this really wasn't what I had in mind.

The db is probably beyond repair, but I'll e-mail it to support anyway so they can analyze it and hopefully prevent this from happening to anyone else.

MarkTAW
Wednesday, September 25, 2002

I've just put on my black arm band in honor of your file.

tk
Wednesday, September 25, 2002

good luck!

Can you open the file in access? Because then you might be able to recover the bits & pieces.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, September 26, 2002

I don't have the appropriate version of Access to open the file. I have all of the text - it's been published to my website. It's mostly a matter of re-building the templates and index pages... I just find myself not really wanting to put in the effort to re-build the site.

=(

I'll e-mail the file to Fog tonight and see if they have any desire to look at it either to help or for their own edification.

MarkTAW
Thursday, September 26, 2002

It's a shame that there isn't an 'export' option for CityDesk, even if only to get the templates stored outside of Jet (which doesn't have that great a reputation for not loosing your data).

Andy Hardy
Friday, September 27, 2002

CityDesk should have an option to automotically create a back-up file whenever you save the .cty file.  You can do that in other programs, like Microsoft Word, right?  Sure, you end up with a bunch of ".bak" files in your documents directory, but that feature can be a life-saver.

Alex Chernavsky

.bak is not common for databases. They may be pretty big. But yes, for many citydesk sites, it is propably just a couple of megs.

I make the copies manually. Mostly each day, at least once a week. Luckily I never had to use them except for article/template undo.

Adriaan van den Brand

I copy my .cty file(s) to my zip drive every time I close CityDesk, mostly to protect me from myself.  I've needed it a few times when I've made mistakes.

tk

Try 12 Ghosts Backup, it is extremely usefull backup/versioning utility. Checkit at:
http://www.12ghosts.com/ghosts/backup.htm

A backup feature like the implemented in Quicken would be helpfull for the "end" users...

Aníbal Rojas

I was just thinking to myself "I need to go backup my CityDesk file too" about a day before this happened.

When I build my next computer (primarily an audio workstation) I'm going to do auto-backups across my home LAN every night to a computer in a different room and burn a DVD once a week or so of anything that's new or changed.

I could've sworn I had both RCS'd and uploaded it to my server as a backup, but I can't find it in either location. It just goes to show you, a process is only helpful if you follow it. I think I actually did these things, but had recently over-written the backup with a new site layout.

That 12Ghosts thing looks good. Automatic backups are good.

MarkTAW
Saturday, September 28, 2002

I don't know if anyone's going to see this post, but I've been using & loving 12backup ever since it was mentioned here. Thanks!

MarkTAW.com
Monday, January 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home