Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bookmarks

Hi,

I need to link to another position in the same page in a article. In other tools it's called bookmarks.
How do I do this in CityDesk?
I'm using the free version of City Desk

Christian
Wednesday, September 25, 2002

It's the same in all versions, you have to do it yourself in html.

Here is a bookmark named "bookmark":
<p><a name="bookmark">bookmark</a></p>

Here is a link to the bookmark:
<p><a href="#bookmark">go to bookmark</a></p>

Here is a forum item that has a neat trick:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1349&ixReplies=2

You could also copy and paste your article into another editor, such as FrontPage, insert your bookmarks there and copy back into CityDesk.

Since I started using CityDesk, I've almost stopped using bookmarks.  It's convenient and often at least as good and sometimes better to link to  separate articles.  Your results may vary though.

tk

I find jumping around in the same article confusing, though the FAQ style is nice. I like to not have to jump from page to page to read the FAQ and I like having the index on the top of the page.

CityDesk doesn't natively support "named anchors," which is what these are called, so you have to go in to the code and add them.

MarkTAW

Or you could build your FAQ page from a bunch of articles, where each article is one question. Then the article that builds the main FAQ page could create the links in a loop at the top and the named anchors in the loop that brings in each article's question and answer.

Darren Collins
Thursday, September 26, 2002

you can use the filename as an anchor in Darren's approach.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, September 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home