Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

City Desk Bug?

Can anyone reproduce this bug when inserting a picture?

http://www.topley.freeserve.co.uk/citydesk.jpg

When I click on the Picture combobox the drop down portion appears at the top left of the screen. It appears in the correct place on the second click.

John Topley
Thursday, September 19, 2002

I've seen similar strange things.  I don't think it's related to the particular image or .cty file.  It happens to me when I have too many programs running.  Image editors, in my case Photoshop Elements and Photo Draw, seem most likely to fight with CityDesk for memory, if that's what is really happening.

I fix it by closing programs.  Sometimes a few, sometimes all of them, sometimes rebooting.  I usually close CityDesk too.

CityDesk never seems to lose anything in the process but it can be scary for a few moments.

tk

P.S. More memory helps some.  But I have 640Meg and I had a similar problem yesterday.

tk

Let me know if you can reliably reproduce it.  I've never been able to do it here.

Michael H. Pryor

I've seen this one when I upgraded my PC from Win XP Home to Pro. Re-installing CityDesk cured it.

John C

Michael,

It's happening to me right now.

I'm inserting at tiny image in several places in an article.

I click on the insert image button and the dialog box appears.

The first click on the down arrow in the picture box makes the partial list of files (shorter than normal) appear near the top left corner of the article window.

The second click on the down arrow makes the file list disappear from the top left corner of the article window and the picture box turns blue.

The third click on the down arrow and it shows the list of files exactly as it should.

This is happening on every image instertion I try on this site.  Come to think of it it may have been happening yesterday too on the same site.

tk

It's unlikely to be a function of which site you are editing and more to do with what windows you have open and if any other programs are set to "stay on top" or if you've recently changed your monitor setting, or maybe you have multiple monitors....

Michael H. Pryor

After closing and reopening the same site, the funky stuff continues.  As an aside, when I open a template and close it without making changes, City askes if I want to save changes.

After compacting, closing, and reopening it's still funky.

I opened a another site, same bahavior.

tk

I just rebooted, opened the office shortcut bar (I always do that) the opened CityDesk by itself.  Same behavior.

I'd try to reinstall but I've got more install and service pack files than I can remember.

tk

I had this bug after upgrading from Windows ME to XP Professional. See http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3811&ixReplies=1

Just re-install Citydesk and everything will work...... (at least, in my case)

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, September 20, 2002

I just tried a re-install and I still get the problem...weird. A definite bug.

John Topley

I forgot to mention - no multiple-monitors or stay-on-top programs here.

John Topley

The reinstall cured me for the time being.

tk

It is "possible" that reinstalling actually fixes the problem, but more likely there are other factors involved that you aren't aware of and reinstalling CityDesk just happens to also change those factors.

For example (and this is just an example) let's say this bug only happens when you are running 4 programs and you have less than < 1k of RAM left.  So you are using CD and the bug happens, you get frustrated, quit all your apps and reinstall CD. (The bug went away right after you quit your apps, or maybe after you restarted b/c now you have more RAM).  It looks like reinstalling fixed the problem but it didn't.

I suspect that this bug is more a result of where on the screen the actual dropdown is located.  This is because when you click on the little dropdown button for the treeview picker (the thing that shows you your mini cd site in a dropdown), we create a new toplevel window who's parent is the screen and we have to do some math to get it in the right place.  Something is most likely screwy at some point in time and the math just is wrong.  Perhaps the coordinates coming back from the OS are (0,0) for some strange error reason, or maybe if the window is half the distance from the upper left corner of the screen w/ regards to the screen dimensions, then the bug happens.  I'm not sure, but I suspect that if you watch where the dropdown arrow is on the screen and where the popup window actually appears we might be able to discover the reason this is happening.  Then again, if we can't repro it here it will be tough.

Michael H. Pryor

Michael, I'm inclined to blame Photoshop Elements.  I'm mostly likely to get the black icons when running it.  When it loads, the top of it's window slips underneath the Office short-cut bar.  Windows media player will do the same thing sometimes.

Another thing happened the day before yesterday.  Lot's of windows open, Photoshop either was or had been open.  The article properties window bled through.  That is, the window was there, the field boxes were there but the background bled through from some other screen.  The extra window was fine, the article window was fine.

I shut some programs down, closed and opened CityDesk and I was back to normal.

tk

No Michael, I don't think so. It was 100% reproducable on my machine. It started after upgrading to XP; had it for many weeks; happens every 2nd time or so the box is opened; the other times it is ok. No memory things, but might be a DLL thingy...

The position is just relative to the wrong window. So if it should be say, +50,40 relative to the picture window, then it will be displayed +50,40 relative to the Citydesk MAIN window.

Adriaan van den Brand

Michael,

I've down some experimenting and the drop down appears in the same place regardless of where the Insert Picture dialogue is on the screen.

John Topley

Oh dear, three different answers! :-O I don't have Photoshop installed on my box and it always appears in the same position for me.

Could this be a screen resolution issue? I'm running at 1280 x 1024.

John Topley

I'm at 1024x768 Win98, pretty ordinary.

tk

it does seem to be about the same relative position to your article as it should be to your insert-picture-dialog...

Adriaan van den Brand

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home