Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Suggestion

This is just a small feature, but I think it would be nice to have in a future version of CityDesk.

It would be good to be able to "lock down" an article. That way, if an inexperienced user opens it, they won't be able to change it without doing something deliberate, such as selecting Edit->Unlock Article from the menu. Or maybe it could be done with a checkbox on the article form, which makes you put CityDesk into Administrator mode to edit the article.

There are often articles (Main page, Index pages, etc) that don't need to be changed once they're set up. Users often open them to have a look at the CityScript or to see the Keywords field or something. But, if they accidentally/unknowingly change something and close the article using the Save&Close button (which they're getting used to doing), they screw up the page and the administrator has to spend an hour figuring out what happened.

In fact, I've done this to myself a few times :-).

Darren Collins
Wednesday, September 11, 2002

What I was thinking of (for a future version of course) would be to have the ability to flag a given folder as 'invisible,' in which case it would only appear in design mode. You could keep all the important stuff in there.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, September 12, 2002

invisible folders are a great idea. But it doesn't solve the problem for index files.

But if
- there are a few flags (invisible, read only, draft/release)
- and folders have properties too
- and optionally: if index files are generated from 'folder articles' (so "../.headline = the headline of the (parent) directory)
we can have it all ;-)

when is that future version release ?  ;-)

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, September 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home