Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Article editor 'eats' international characters

I tried searching the forum for solutions to this problem, but got hopelessly confused between all the references to service packs, characters sets, meta tags, and whatnot.

I'm trying to write in Hungarian, which has two characters that are outside the norm: ő (o" =an o with two acute accents) and ű (u" =u with two acute accents).  I can type these characters into the editor, but if I switch views, the characters either change into a question mark or an unaccented character. (Specifically, if I type the characters in HTML view and switch to Normal, I get question marks; and if I type in Normal view and switch to HTML, I lose the accents.)

I'm using CityDesk version 1.0.31 (a.k.a. Service Pack 2). How do I stop this behavior? Please be as specific as possible, i.e. if it's a matter of including a meta tag somewhere, exactly which CityDesk "file" do I put it into?

Martha
Sunday, September 08, 2002

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the currently shipping version of CityDesk -- we only support Latin 1 officially.

This will be fixed in the next release. [I'm already using it to produce the global versions of Joel on Software, including Hungarian, but it's still too unstable to release to the public now].

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, September 08, 2002

Well, at least I know it wasn't just me doing something wrong... :)

Are there any workarounds that anyone is using? E.g. a mass find-and-replace in Word (but replace with what?) or something?

Martha
Monday, September 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home