Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Anyone find CycleTraders to be useful?

My question isn't directly related to CityDesk, but I'm posting it here because the CityDesk News section has a link to CycleTraders:

http://www.cycletraders.com/

(For those who aren't familiar with it, this free service monitors your website and gives you information about response times, errors, etc.)

Has anyone found CycleTraders to be useful or informative?  I've been running it for over a week, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  It sure generates a lot of data, but the data doesn't seem to be particularly useful.

I guess what I would really like to know is this:  when a visitor loads pages from my web server, where is the speed bottleneck?  Is the limiting factor the server, or is the bottleneck typically somewhere else between the hosting company's system and the user's computer?  I can't really tell from the data provided by CycleTraders, or maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

Also, there are some odd things about the reports.  Why aren't the response times averaged to give a single number?  Also, on occasion, most of my "hits" seem to originate in Africa, which seems a bit unlikely.  And what is the meaning of the red asterisks on the x-axis?

I suppose I really should send these questions to someone at CycleTraders, but I thought I'd also post them here for discussion.

Thanks.

Alex Chernavsky
Saturday, September 07, 2002

Just to reply to my own post:  I've removed the CycleTraders client from my computer.  I don't know that I could recommend it.  It seems like a good idea in principle (having people from all over the world monitor your website's performance), but it didn't do much for me in practice.

Alex Chernavsky
Wednesday, September 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home