Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

breadcrumb navigation

I just saw the new demo cty file on citydesk news. It is a good thing more demos become available for new Citydesk users.

A few comments:
- breadcrumb navigation can be automated. (Sorry I didn't realize that was the name, but that is what my javascripts (at tk's) and also PHP scripts (soon) do).

Hard coding the breadcrumb navigation in the tempates may be feasible in the job-example, but won't help for a complex site.

- usability: you need a VERY big screen to see the menu  (bottom) without scrolling....

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, August 29, 2002

It should be possible to define this on a per-article basis. I can imagine having a drop down box with all the categories previously used. There's nothing wrong with having a {$.home$} variable for the site root. So it would be:

{$.home$} -> {$.category$} -> {$.headline$}

The only thing missing from CD atm is the category field/drop down list. The headline tag already exists and the home variable can easily be set in the variables thing.

Patrick Ansari

Wrong thread prolly but you're gonna read it anyway ;p

Patrick Ansari

I liked the demo file. I didn't like the way the variables are stored centrally in CD. I find it much easier to modify stuff in CSS than setting variables in CD - what's the point of that?
This can quickly become a maintenance nightmare.

Using the teaser for the breadcrumb navigation seem ackward and unatural. There should be a specific drop down list where people can select and add categories. After all, breadcrumb navigation is very, very common and surely warrants the extra field in the DB.

Patrick Ansari

No, providing a Category field would just be another inflexible hack. What if your article was two directories deep? e.g. Home -> Personal -> Camping -> Coolendel2002

What is really needed is to enhance CityScript (or replace it with another scripting language) so that you can break any arbitrary path down into the appropriate breadcrumb trail.

Darren Collins

The current solution is client side (javascript) or server side( php /asp) etc.

client side: disadvantages
- some people have javascript disabled (e.g. for security reasons)
- not visible for search engines
server side:
- not available to everyone
- several flavors (asp, coldfusion, php)
- costs cpu time

Breadcrumb navigation via citydesk would be possible if:
- folders where articles (or the index article in each folder needs to be coupled to the folder in some way.

- simple script extensions
(e.g. root: breadcrumb := "home")
folders: breadcrumb:= parent-folder.breadcrumb + " > " + index-headline

files: breadcrumb:= folder.breadcrumb +" > " + headline)

Difficulty: if evaluated on a per-file basis, the publish process may be slowed down. This is especially the case if the current cityscript engine is used.

The current cityscript is suitable for automatic filling of menu's. However, if this can only be done in externally (e.g. in a .js file) for publishing  performance reasons.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, August 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home