Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New Article: Boxed Content

I've written another article about using CityDesk. This one explains how I use variables to create boxes around lists and other pieces of short content:
http://www.pool-room.com/CodeCraft/CityDesk/BoxedContent.html

TK, is this similar to how you create the boxes I've seen on some of your sites?

Feedback, as always, is welcomed!

Darren Collins
Monday, August 26, 2002

Darren, this is my favorite box:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" bgcolor="#999999">
  <tr>
    <td>
      <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"
      bgcolor="#F9FCFF">
        <tr>
          <td bgcolor="#D2DEF2"><b><font color="#000000"
            face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="3">Blue line goes
            here</font></b></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td>The other stuff that goes in the box
            <p>&nbsp;</td>
        </tr>
      </table>
    </td>
  </tr>
</table>

It a table within a table. I don't quite know how it works, but it does.  Sometimes I'll fiddle with the colors to make me think I'm really a artist.

tk
Monday, August 26, 2002

TK, I think you can do the same with one table. It is possible to set the border thickness and color (your outer table). It is even possible to set this default in a style sheet (much like Darren's approach).

But then, if you're happy with it .... ;-)

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, August 26, 2002

What got me to use that table is that my border colors didn't work in my old Netscape 4.5 but these tables looked fine in NS.  I'm sure things have changed  and improved but my poor old brain hasn't.  (I'm sure all of this is Web 101 for most folks.)

What I really like about Darren's method is the variables.  I wanted to use variable for the background and border colors so that I could easily change them on my hold site.  Darren straightened me out.

Quoting Darren:

"I had trouble using variables for colours in tables. CityDesk kept wiping my bgcolor={$.cTableBg$} tags out of the table and td tags. I had to specify a colour of the form "#000000" or "black". So I was forced to use CSS to get the colours in there. This also had the benefit that I could define different types of tables with different colours and other properties, and then could use <TABLE class=PriceList> or whatever to apply the style I wanted. I use this a bit on my Pool-Room.com site.

"Using styles also gets rid of all the cellSpacing, cellPadding, border, align, valign, etc tags from your HTML, which makes your templates and articles look a lot cleaner and easier to understand."

tk
Monday, August 26, 2002

P.S.

I really like the article listing the the bottom of this page:
http://www.whysmalltalk.com/index.htm

It's one of my favorite "boxed contents."  I would enjoy generating article lists in a format like this.

tk
Monday, August 26, 2002

TK, you quote me better than I could quote me!

I do like the formatting of the article list at the bottom of the Why Smalltalk site. I might try that sometime soon on my site...

Darren Collins
Monday, August 26, 2002

Thanks Guys,

I am glad you like.

Jason Jones
www.whysmalltalk.com

Jason Jones
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

excellent idea Darren Thanks for all

en français ?

http://www.elanceur.org/CityDeskFrance/RemplirBoites.html

christophe ducamp