Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request: VM/publish folder

CD is very easy if you can just type in the article and hit publish. However, all articles published on our company website need to be reviewed first. Sometimes an update of some articles takes some time. When I know it is not a first-time-right, I use a temporary name first. However, sometimes I don't know this and then the database contains files which may not be published, nor deleted.  Then 'publish' website becomes a forbidden button.

Using publish date ranges--> delete original article
Publish file: lots of manual work since indexes are not updated

Disadvantage of using temp. articles is that hard links (insert link) are not valid.

I think the professional version (which I'm using) should have some kind of verson management (at least a previous, actual and draft version for each article). And more control over publishing would be handy (like publish folder, or publish multiple files.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, August 23, 2002

Thanks for the suggestion!  We've had a lot of people request workflow management so we'll be sure to consider it for the next version.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, August 23, 2002

I'd like to put the opposing point of view. I like CityDesk because it's quick and easy to use, and doesn't contain features like workflow and version control which I don't need.

I know some people have a need for these sorts of features, but if you add them to CityDesk, could you please make them somehow transparent to people that don't want them?

Or perhaps the CityDesk Home version could allow unlimited articles but without these types of features (or workgroup support), and CityDesk Pro could include everything?

Darren Collins
Sunday, August 25, 2002

Yes Darren.  I wouldn't mind a "workflow" button in the designer view that allowed folks to turn on and manage workflow for a site.  It would be like the "audience" and language buttons.  I'll probably never use them but I'm glad they are there just in case.

tk
Sunday, August 25, 2002

I agree: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) has to stay.

B.t.w. I will use the language button as soon as CD 2.0 is available (with translation of selected files)                                                                                           

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, August 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home