Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Slowdowns and crashes editing articles

I'm trying to set up our design document for online viewing. The original docs are done as Word files, so I have been pasting them into articles. This works fine for some but for other articles whenever I try to use the CD editor I get 100% CPU usage and wait times of several minutes or CD just stops responding.

However, the articles publish fine, I just can't seem to do anything in the editor with them

Most all of the Word docs have tables in them, the offenders seem to have more. I don't know if this is having an effect or not.

If I could solve this, CD looks like it is the solution to our document problem.

David Cook
Thursday, August 22, 2002

Its probably related to the HTML source that word is trying to paste into CityDesk.  It may have external references to word objects, or local files that CD can't figure out.  I think there are sites out there that will "clean" html generated by word.  You could try running it through there first and then pasting it into CD...

Michael H. Pryor

I hope you can find a solution.  All the Word formatting junk comes with the paste.  That might be good for some things but it loads my HTML with junk that I don't want and don't even understand.  The same goes with pastes from Excel.

I suspect that extra junk may cause some of your problems.

I've since downloaded "Microsoft Office HTML Filter 2.0" from Microsoft.  It strips the extra stuff.  I "save as HTML " in Word then run the Filter on them.  I haven't really tried everything it does but it will certainly clean out the junk maybe too much so.  Last night the Filter kept my bold facing and underlining but elminted block quotes so my indents were gone.

I have the biggest problem with tables.  So when I need a table in an article.  I create the table in FrontPage and paste it into an article.  But one my authors sends me Word documents with tables. Up until now I've had to redo the tables in FrontPage.

I sure forum folks have better ideas.

tk

I have same problem with formatting. I have to do it manually and check them very carefully.
The big problem I am facing is speed. I have over 800 articles which will take over 30 minitus to publish, even previewing on local machine. how can we deal with this?

Jim Chen

I think FrontPage has a "Clean Up HTML" option (or something similar). You might be able to copy-and-paste your Word documents into FrontPage, clean up the HTML, then copy-and-paste into CityDesk.

The other thing I sometimes do is just copy the Word document, use CityDesk's "paste without formatting", and then manually format the article in CityDesk's article editor. Of course, this is painful if there's too much formatting you need to put back.

None of these is an ideal solution, especially if you've got dozens of articles to add to your site. It might be worth Googling for one of the free Word-HTML cleaners that can work on batches of files.

Darren Collins

What I did just now (on 6 new articles in Word) was to wash them through Notepad, which removed everything but the text.  I pasted them from Notepad into CityDesk and put the formatting back in.  Good thing there wasn't much.

"Past without formatting" is very good for small text chunks.

tk

tk, it only work on short articles, how about 100 pages articles? I am dealing with large articles. and the publish speed still a big problem, anybody know how to speed up? for a site with nearly 1000 articles include some pdf and doc format.

Jim Chen

Arghh ...

Here is the link to,"Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0"
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

It's worth a try.  It's not a big download.  It ended up in the start menu under "Microsoft Office Tools"

In the meantime you could just drag the document(s) into your site and link to it from a CityDesk article.  When the user clicks, he'll get it in Word or pdf.  Probably your best bet for the time being.

tk

The Microsoft HTML cleaner seems to help some but it is still not a perfect solution. I'm down from 20 minutes trying to load/save a single article to maybe a minute.

As a request/feature, I'll point out that for good or ill a lot of people use Word. I think CD could be particularly useful for intranet documents  -- it's easy to learn so that an HR person could maintain an online employee's handbook for example without having to resort to a webmaster or IT department all the time. It should be worth the time and trouble to solve the issue of importing Word docs into articles.

David Cook
Friday, August 23, 2002

There is a product called TIDY which can be found for free on the web.  I have just played with it a bit, but it seems like it could do the sorts of things this thread is discussing.

For the PC there is a freeware (or maybe shareware) HTML Editor program at this site:  http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

I think I like it but I'm not sure.  It seems to hog resources, but has lots of features and is extensible.  It includes the TIDY code which can be set to rip all FONT tags and other stuff out.  I think you can ask it to produce 4.01 strict compliance. 

Joel Goldstick
Friday, September 06, 2002

NoteTab Pro from Fookes Software does exactly what you are looking for AND it is an excellent (programmable if you what it) editor as well. Costs a little. My favourite besides CD. www.notetab.com

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, September 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home