Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

I've got Broken links - but where from??

"Warning: broken link "PTMFOG0000000138" in file \archives\index"

This is what I get when I'm publishing one of my pages. But there is no reference to a file PTMFOG0000000138 on that page. How do I figure out where this is coming from and how to fix it?

Tara
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Check the template that the index article uses.

cd user
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

I've checked both the template and the actual file. Nada. I don't get why it's saying that... unless one of my scripts is somehow calling a file that's been deleted. Is that possible?  The scripts are just using a foreach to call the documents in a sub-folder so I don't see how it could say that there is a broken link. Any other ideas?

Tara
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

maybe you are using a variable that has a link in it.. or script in it

cd user
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

{$ foreach 3 x in (folder "top_foo/foo") SortDescendBy .fileddate $}
<P><STRONG>{$x.headline$}<BR></STRONG>{$x.teaser$}<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp;<A href="{$x.link$}">Read More</A></P>{$ next $}

That's the script on the page. Can't see how it would cause a broken link. Especially since there are similar scripts on other pages that don't have any problems. Can this script be calling another script or a variable?

Tara
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

why don't you look at the published page instead of looking at the page in citydesk.
ie. publish to a temp folder then do a find for the PTMFOG line.
then you'll at least know where its coming from.

cd user
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Thanks. I found it! No I'll see if I can fix it ;-)

Tara
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Broken links are also caused by direct links to articles which are not published because of 'don't publish before/after' settings. These are not included in foreach loops, but with Insert-Link to the article you will get the broken FOG000xxxx message.

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, August 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home