Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

SP2: ftp problems

I caught Citydesk SP2 hanging in "waiting for server to respond" for 30+ minutes in FTP upload (small file on broadband connection). The internet connection was ok at that time (that is: a concurrent SSH shell session was not broken)

Some timeouts and retries would be appropriate...!

Cancel FTP ; republish ALL files: one error (during publish: the file being transfered during the hangup was locked).

FTP now did recover (so SP2 does make a difference)

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, August 19, 2002

Interesting...

The (only) difference in the FTP code between SP2 and SP1 is that with SP1, any FTP error resulted in giving up publishing. In SP2, any FTP error results in an error message in the window and we try the next file.

So perhaps what's happening is that we're still timing out, but we're timing out on each individual file, and you have a bunch of files, so the whole operation takes a few months :) Is that possible?

Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 19, 2002

I have 250 files. Together 3-4 MByte. Normally it takes one minute or so to publish all files.

Yesterday I hit the publish button before my lunch break and I saw that it stopped at some file. When I came back from lunch, there was hardly any progress, but it was indeed a different file.

So may be you have timeouts per file, but may be you have only one ftp session? If so, may be this session was  broken??????

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home