Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Basic Organization

I'm evaluating CD to use in developing a departmental knowledgebase in a corporate environment. I trying to decide if it's better to organizing the content by folders or to just use keywords in one big folder. I assume I can build tables of contents based on both systems. The advantage I think the keywords have is that an article can be in multiple TOCs. I'm still trying to gain a sense of what the program can do so I'd appreciate any insight you might have on this issue.

BTW, I really like what I've seen so far.

Lee Potts
Friday, August 09, 2002

I can't give you a straight answer except that whenever I've decided to organize by folders, I wished I'd used keywords too and vice versa.  Keywords can really bail you out of some organization problems.

Our forum friends probably have more specific advice.

tk
Friday, August 09, 2002

Maybe my best bet is to use both methods and keep my options open. It's not that much more work.

Lee Potts
Saturday, August 10, 2002

I tend to use folders to organise articles for my own benefit, and keywords to build lists of articles for index pages etc.

For example, you might like to create a folder for each contributor or department, so that you can find them easily when someone sends you an update for one of their articles. If all your articles were in one folder, that would get messier as the number of articles grows.

As long as each article has the right keywords in it, you'll have no problem constructing lists and indexes based on topics. This also solves the problem of what to do when a single article is relevant to two or more topics - you just put each of the topics into the keywords field.

Darren Collins
Saturday, August 10, 2002

Per Darren, using Keywords can do wonders.  We probably haven't thought of but a few ways to use them in CityDesk.

I'm certainly hoping for future versions of CityDesk will help me manage keywords: Helping me to remember the keywords I've already used, perhaps letting me know when I write CityScripts that use non-existant keywords, or allowing me to assign keywords to batches of articles all at once.

I doing a memoir site.  I never know what's coming next and I have a feeling that a great way to organize the site will occur to me some day if I do the keywords right.

Sometimes I forget to enter the keywords; sometimes I misspell them.  So, I did this page so that I can tell when I've omitted or mispelled a keyword.  The author also uses the page to correct me.  You'll see, I've got some keyword corrections to make.

http://members.tripod.com/mackenziegregory/log/Sitemap.html

TK
Sunday, August 11, 2002

I have another way of checking them. I have a page with a table and using a foreach loop I write the abslink, title, keywords and teaser in a table to check them, especially for MISSING keywords. Because that is the major pitfall for me. And that is also my reason to use folders (so a location in a folder guarantees it's inclusion in the index.

Keywords have interesting possibilities though!

Adriaan van den Brand
Sunday, August 11, 2002

I typically organized based on directory and then cross-link using keywords.

Use folders wherever it will make it easer for someone to choose where to put something, use keywords when something has to go to more than one place. My favorite is creating a series of articles within a category and pulling all related articles into the sidebar as "related links" or "other stories in the series" via keywords.

MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home