Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Where's my picture?

Pardon me if this has been covered before.  I started a new site, opened the index.html file with FrontPage, messed with it and added an image.  Then I saved.

I guess I expected FrontPage to save the image back in the CityDesk site along with my FrontPage-edited index file.  I opened the index file with the CityDesk editor and the image was there.  I published, but the picture didn't publish.

Finally, I looked in the CityDesk directory and, of course, the image isn't there.  I imported the image using the CityDesk editor and I'm OK now.

So, I must have whiffed when I saved for the first time in FrontPage.  What should I have done?

Terry Kearns
Thursday, November 08, 2001

Unfortunately CityDesk doesn't "know" that you inserted a picture (FrontPage does though), so it doesn't know to insert it into the site.

Whereas when you use CityDesk to insert the picture, it knows, and it adds the picture to the site.

So the short answer is, yes, you have to insert the picture into the site yourself.

Michael Pryor

The way CityDesk works with images is brain damaged, IMHO. It should automagically import the images.

Is there any possibility of automatic importing of the image? If you are using the DHTML editor that ships with IE then you have access to the DOM of the document you are editing, thus you know every image present in the HTML source... with little effort you should be able to use it.

(again, sorry for my english)

Leonardo Herrera

another problem with image importation:

when you import an HTML file, citydesk creates an image_for_importedwebpage folder, and copies pictures in the folder, OK .but it gives "unreadable names" to the images.

so could it be possible to grab from the original file either the alt tag, ororiginal filename, or both, and to display the result like this in the main window:

IMG640215 (mybeautifulhouse.jpg/for sale $100000)
IMG87410 (mydogcharlie.jpeg/charlie, my dog)
IMG****** (voidgif.gif/10x10 pixels transparent gif)

so we could understand more easily which file is what, at least if the original page was well coded with good "alt" tags.

Vincent bénard
Friday, November 09, 2001

I think I can deal with all this if I can just understand what I can do with an alternate editor and how CityDesk manages images: What I can and can't do with the alternate editor, what I can and can't do with the CityDesk editor, image naming, renaming, and management.

Seems the safest and least confusing thing to do right now is to build the page (in FrontPage for example) publish it, and import it.  Since I'm a "fire-aim-ready guy", I'd probably have to repeat this step a few times until I got the images right and then "open with" to deal with the rest.

Terry Kearns
Friday, November 09, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home