Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

When will delete bug be fixed?

Well it bit me again. I changed a filename, published, and at the end the FTP returned an error on putting Citydesk.xml and now CityDesk is hosed as each publish still tries to delete the file that I renamed.

I've deleted CityDesk.xml and also tried publish all - neither works as usually and I've had to put fake files on the server to make CD happy.

When will this MAJOR bug be fixed? Log 30 minutes lost this week to the 4 or so hours I lost a few weeks ago when it died on a major change with mirrors.

Ive got to admit if I had bought CD less than 30 days ago I'd be asking for my money back or calling my credit card as this is costing me a TON of time and happens quite frequently.

I've reported this before, and told it will be fixed someday, but how hard can it be to issue an update for such a MAJOR problem?

Chad Z. Hower
Wednesday, August 07, 2002

If you set the subdirectory correctly in the publishing settings this won't happen, unless for some reason you upload gets killed in the middle.  So most of the time when your settings are correct you should never have this problem...

Michael Pryor

Email customer-service and someone will help you fix your settings...

Michael Pryor

It DOES happen even with the right settings!

Internet is not 100% reliable and connections do break once in a while.
Also the Citydesk [abort] button on the ftp publish window could easily be renamed into "Please take one hour of my precious time" since it directly causes the problems mentioned. And to make things worse: if you try to work in the background and use the enter button (which is hard to avoid) this also causes the [abort] to be activated.

Important notes to prevent this bug:
- never hit abort unless you are willing to delete the entire site before republishing everyting
- afer deleting citydesk.xml always restart Citydesk.

I agree with Chad; it is a major bug. Please get some service pack out to fix at least this kind of bugs. I can wait another few weeks for the new functionality... ;-)

If this is not feasible: please give us some (VB)-program or so that fixes the problem via ftp (for instance by creating dummy files where these are missing with respect to citydesk.xml)

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, August 08, 2002

Exactly. Its NOT my settings. Its the fact that IIS often locks files and the FTP server will "bounce" when trying to access the file, then CD is totally HOSED.

Please fix. Its very simple to change one line of code to either:
1) Check to see if a file exists before trying to delete it.
2) Log deletions and RECORD them if a error happens later.
3) Ignore errors on the delete command.

Personally Id be perfectly happy wtih ANYTHING that works but would prefer both a combination of 1 and 2 as sometimes files themselves do get deleted of the server else how.

Chad Z. Hower

And one more: 'publish all' should publish ALL articles regardless of their existence on the server!

Adriaan van den Brand

We'll release a patch to fix this as soon as we can.

Joel Spolsky

As far as we know, selecting the publish all files button DOES actually publish all files to the server.  If you know of a situation in which it doesn't do this, please detail it for us so we can attempt to reproduce...

Michael Pryor

Chad, see http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3892&ixReplies=0

Michael Pryor

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home