Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Crash...

A co-worker of mine was editing some pages, adding files (pdf's, doc's, etc.) and CityDesk 1.0.27 crashed on her. We're using NT4 SP6, and by going in to the task manager we removed all CityDesk references from the Applications and Processes views.

Tried restarting CityDesk and it wouldn't start up. After a while the task list itself froze. Eventually we had to reboot her computer.

Any ideas? This is the first time we've tried both having CityDesk open at the same time - I'm working on templates while she's adding articles.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Maybe her network connection to the file failed?  Usually this doesn't result in a crash though...  Did any error msgs pop up?  Could you still use your version?  Which computer is the .cty file stored on?

Michael Pryor
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

We just tried rebooting the computer and it still won't launch. She said she's going to wait until tomorrow to see what happens and then we're going to reinstall. When we were clicking on the "launch CityDesk" icon from her MS Office bar, it would create several intances of CityDesk in her "processes" tab, but none of them would launch.

I don't believe the connection to the file failed. I was still able to use my version. The .cty file is stored on an NT server that we all connect to. I wanted to keep it in the same general area as the HTML files, and we can both map this drive from home if anything screwy happens.

Could this be a result of the large .pdf and .doc files she was adding to CityDesk? They're around a half megabyte to a full megabyte in size. I would prefer not to keep these files there, but I want to idiotproof the whole process as much as possible.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

I've "dragged in" huge batches of files at once, more than 100 at a time.  That usually causes CityDesk to crash.  It seems to crash at the end of the process because when I Ctrl-Alt-Del it and then open CityDesk and the .cty file it seems to have worked fine.  All the files are in there.

I now expect this to happen after big drags and worry a little less thatn I used to when it happens.

tk
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Okay, next day. We've determined that she may have been running an older CityDesk on a newer database (why didn't we get a warning?).

So she installed the new version in a new directory, and it still won't launch. HELP!!

Mark W
Wednesday, August 07, 2002

Let me re-phrase that. She uninstalled the old version, and then installed the new one (1.0.27) in a new folder and it wouldn't launch.

Mark W

Run regedit and delete the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fog Creek Software\CityDesk\Settings

Michael Pryor

The first time she re-installed she (on the reccomendation of another person over here) installed to a new directory. I installed to the original directory and it works fine now.

*phew*

PS she's glad she doesn't have to go through the old update process, CityDesk is so much better than manually adding articles to the homepage and then archiving them.

MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home