Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

More delete problems

This is similar to several previously logged problems ( eg http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3035&ixReplies=7 ).

I'm not having much success deleting articles in CD, and having them deleted on the server. Specifically:

1.      I tried deleting the article 'test' in CD and re-published only to get the dreaded "can't delete" message.

2.      I then quit CD, and re-published only to get the same message.

3.      I then quit CD, deleted the CD.xml file, and re-published - this uploaded the whole site again... but didn't delete the "test" article on the server that I'd deleted in CD.

4.      I deleted "test.html" on the server, republished and everything is finally synchronized.

As my web site contains 25mb of pdfs, republishing the whole site is a pain.

(My web host assured me that I don't have to specify a subdirectory, btw)

Greg Russell
Thursday, July 18, 2002

Good luck. I posted on another problem relating to this abysmal behviour as others, but it'll prob just get ignored again and you'll be told to deal with it.

Its a nasty design flaw.

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, July 19, 2002

If you have set your subdirectory and all the other ftp properties correctly then CD should be able to delete files no problem. 

The only time you should run into this is if
a) your subdirectory isn't set correctly
b) you delete a file off the server and then delete it from CD.  CD will then try to delete it and it will fail.

Obviously CD should just ignore these errors and continue, but in the current release it doesn't.

Try using a command line FTP program to FTP into your account.  Do a PUT to put a random file on the server and then a DEL to delete the file.  Citydesk is doing the same thing when it deletes, so if you can figure out the correct path to feed to the DEL command you should be able to set your subdirectory correctly.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, July 19, 2002

OR CD aborts its publish for some other reason - line dropped, FTP error, etc.

If CD has already deleted the files, it forgets about them and tries to redelete.

This is compounded even worse on mirror installations where you publish to more than one destination.

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, July 19, 2002

Yes, Chad you are correct.  I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and it will be fixed in the next release.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, July 19, 2002

Michael,

My host has these instructions for use of ftp:

"Point your FTP software to your domain name as the host address. We have programmed your site that every time you use your FTP to connect to your site’s server, the remote directory will automatically point at the folder: “/web”. All website files can ONLY be uploaded in this directory “/web” (invisible directory for system to recognize only)."

If I leave the subdirectory field blank, I get all the problems described.

If I enter 'web' in the subdirectory field, sure the web site uploads into a new, visible "web" subdirectory with a whole new set of problems.

Greg Russell
Saturday, July 20, 2002

Try /web as the subdir.

Michael H. Pryor
Saturday, July 20, 2002

I publish to several different hosting services: For example, for Yahoo hosting the remote directory is "/Documents".  For Quest I have to use "/" For Dreamhost I leave it blank.

I don't understand it but when I start with a new host, I panic, fiddle the the remote directory until it works, and, so far, once I get the right remote directory it works fine.

tk
Saturday, July 20, 2002

Michael,

Your advice worked like a charm - fantastic.

TK, appreciate your thoughts as well. While I've been in IT a damn long time, I'm new at building web sites, so I'm hesitant about 'fiddling'.

Thanks guys... CD Rules!!!

Greg Russell
Saturday, July 20, 2002

"Yes, Chad you are correct. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and it will be fixed in the next release. "

Thanks. Please fix it so that it not only recovers from its own crashes, but please also have it ignore delete errors at least as an option. I cannot tell you how much grief this causes me on a regular basis.

Chad Z. Hower
Monday, July 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home