Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Phantom Deletes - FIX PLEASE

This by far has to be the most irritating feature in CD.

I have two mirrors. Both published by CD. I deleted several files so when I published CD tries to delete. However sometimes they are already deleted from the server and CD dies "Server returned extended info" when it tries to delete a non exsitent file. Then I have to upload a dummy file for CD to delete.

However it gets worse. If CD publishes, deletes files, then has a problem, CD forgets it deleted those files and tries again next time. ARG!!!

I deleted XML files, deleted publish sites, readded, to no avail. Took me TWO HOURS to create all the dummy files.

If CD is going to try to clean up, good and fine. But if th server returns an error on delete is it TOO MUCH TO ASK CD to just log that error and continue pubhlishing? Certainly its not a critical enough error to abort my whole publish.

PLEASE change this to simplly log it and dispaly it later and not abort as if its critical. I lost 2 hours to this yesterday, and its a constant source of annoyment and hassle.

Chad Z. Hower
Thursday, July 11, 2002

Upload via local server->FTP site.

Ryan
Saturday, July 13, 2002

"Publish All Files" rather than "Publish Changed Files"

MarkTAW
Saturday, July 13, 2002

1) Publish all files does not work either, it still tries to delete files that have been deleted in CD.

2) I have some VERY large sites with VERY large files. This is NOT an acceptable work around.

I still have not found any work arounds other than to create phantom files for it to delete.

This is a bug which would require 1-2 lines of source code to fix.

Chad Z. Hower
Sunday, July 14, 2002

I guess then the "workaround" would be:

DON'T DELETE anything off the server, ONLY DELETE from within CityDesk.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, July 16, 2002

1) Thats not always possible.

2) Did you READ my post? CD deleted the files, then had an error. Then from there on chaos broke out.

This is a bug - and a 1-2 line fix. I cant see why there is such resistance to this.

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, July 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home