Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

frames

Can anyone advise me on using frames for a site?  I'd like to have a static header with links to various pages, and then a scrolling frame area with content, and be able to post articles into the content area.

Ole Eichhorn
Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Most folks don't like frames, myself included.  They are more for the convenience of the publisher than for the surfer.

This article is old but still true, I think:
"Why Frames Suck (Most of the Time)"
http://useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

I'm glad I wasn't ambitious enough to figure out frames when I thought they were cool.  I thought frames would be great if I wanted the same menu on each page and I wanted to be able to change the menu from time to time without changing each page individually: I'd could just change the frame.

CityDesk scripts and templates give you the convenience without the frames.

tk
Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Yeah, frames are the most evil creation on earth.

Bar none.

Don't use them. If you come up with a reason to use them then you're wrong. Just accept it.

John C
Thursday, July 11, 2002

Thanks for your opinions, guys.  I do understand some people don't like frames.  However, my question was not "do you think I should use frames", it was "how do I maintain frames with CityDesk"? 

Perhaps the answer is "you can't"?  Or if anyone has done this or knows how to do it, I would be most grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Ole Eichhorn
Friday, July 12, 2002

As each frame consists of a web page, and you can certainly create an article for each of those pages. All you'd need to do manually is to create the top page that actually defines the frames, and ensure that hyperlinks to other pages all go to the correct frame (target). That would mean a bit of HTML editing of articles, as the add-a-link functionality doesn't let you define a target, but is still a lot less work than doing it all by hand.

John C
Friday, July 12, 2002

If you really have to use frames....

You can specify a default target frame

check out http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/present/frames.html#h-8.3.2.1

This might save you the manual updating.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, July 12, 2002

Thanks for the input...  The specific problem I'm having with CityDesk and frames is that CD objects to the frameset page (it wants a body tag).  If I can get it to accept the frameset page, then I can define the frame pages as "normal" templates and things will probably work.  (Don't know, because without a frameset page it is tough to go any further).

I did think that perhaps I would define the frameset and header external to CD, and then simply use CD to maintain the content pages which display in one of the frames.  I'd have to have a separate directory for the CD-maintained content and ftp into it.  I believe this will work but it sure seems ugly.

Ole

Ole Eichhorn
Friday, July 12, 2002

For your specific problem: create an index.html rather than an article (if this is acceptable for you; most frame-based websites have only one frameset, so templates won't help much anyway).

Again, it is a good time to check if frames are the best solution to your problem. I have found ways around it (e.g. by using PHP to encapsulate dynamic pages into a Citydesk template).

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, July 15, 2002

One cannot object against frames oft enough. Don't use frames,
they make no sense at all on a web-page. Read the articles on http://www.useit.com and don't be so stubborn.

Stephan Eggermont
Saturday, July 27, 2002

Hm, I just downloaded CityDesk. Some one asked me to setup a maintainance program to maintain content of a existing web site. Yes you quest right. The site contains frames. I would gladly get rit of them. So i can use CityDesk and let a secretary do the content maintainance. Question how do i convert the site into a noframe site but still keeping the same functionality and layout.
The specific site is www.abdk.nl As you may notice i'am not a website disigner (yet) just do overall system implementation for organisations. Therefor i browse the iinternet to find software that meet the needs of a certain problem. I'am charmed by the simplicity of fog creek software. Just in the style i would make software myself.
Actually i'am more a software developer than webdesigner so any tips and tricks on HTML are welcom.

Erik de Jong
Friday, August 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home