Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Miscelaneous Stuff

I've been updating my site in CityDesk and have run across some random stuff. I'm using version 1.0.27.

I upgraded from a previous version and I noticed that the help is the old version - no references to {$if nonblank$}, etc.

I'm running into limitations in designing my navigation. Certainly logic would be nice - sub menus based on your location, etc.

I wish there was a way to template certain elements on a page and change just the variables. If I create a loop with a certain look and feel to create various index pages for sections of my site I have to copy/paste and recode the variables into each index page in order to get a consistent look and feel. I'd love to be able to template this and just specify the variable on the page.

I've considered doing this via global variables - two would do it one before the condition and one after the condition, but that seems overly clumsy.

The same for sidebar options that appear in sections. Actually, now that I think of it, CityDesk has no concept of sections, they have to be imposed by the designer. The closest thing to this would be multiple templates, but who wants to maintain a template per section? I'd much rather specify elements that change in different sections....

I'm sure this is all going to be addressed in some future version, but I figured I'd bring it up. Maybe talking about it will inspire some new feature of some new way of handling things.

MarkTAW
Saturday, July 06, 2002

Wait... the help has .abslink so it must be the new one... Oh there's the nonblank. Sorry I just missed it.

MarkTAW
Saturday, July 06, 2002

My trick is to use Citydesk to generate a set of all references (e.g. abslinks) and then use javascript or PHP to generate the rest runtime.

I have a demo posted for this at TK's, which I will update in a few days. I have added explanations and comments to make them more useful for others.

I do agree with you: the IF-statement is not very powerful. If only 'if' and 'foreach' would have the same functionality...

but then : I am very curious about Joels next move in this. I have seen something about javascript and I can hardly wait to use it........ (but I am affraid this is a CD 2.0 item)

Adriaan van den Brand
Saturday, July 06, 2002

Yeah. I'm working on a redesign of my site - version 3.5... not that anbody knows or cares and i'm finding I want to add sections to the site, just navigation points and area summaries that would be so easy if I could just generate variables for it.

I was thinking about those javasript drop down menus - I had posted something about how to do them in CityDesk a few months back - and realized that the way I wanted to categorize the articles within them would take a lot of programming to do. Creating pages for sections that previously were only part of larger sections...

It would be so much easier to just create a page and give the condition and have it do all the other code for you. I.e. intelligent templates, or templates that can use variables taken from the article.... *sigh*.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a host that supports PHP and learning PHP. My friend does some really great stuff in PHP Nuke that I'd be interested in learning.

MarkTAW
Sunday, July 07, 2002

While I'm talking about sections, it would be great if CityDesk could let you associate sections with articles so that when you post an article to your homepage, a small piece of text or icon appeared with it indicated what section it belonged to.

I just posted an article to my site and I would love for, on the homepage only, it to say "in the Design section" and even to have a second level categorization "Usability" which would appear even when it got to the Design section.

The second level categorization should be independant of the first level - I should be able to have Usability in Technology as well as Design, for example. One is a horizontal categorization of data, the other vertical.

You know, the whole slashdot thing.

MarkTAW
Monday, July 08, 2002

You can do it all in PHP, but client side javascript will work as well.

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, July 08, 2002

I know, most of the systems that do that are written in PHP. What's your JavaScript solution? Does it involve extra1 & extra2?

MarkTAW
Wednesday, July 10, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home