Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CityDesk Article

I've written an article on managing content fragments with CityDesk:
http://www.pool-room.com/CodeCraft/CityDesk/ContentFragments.html

It explains my method for working around the practically unusable Variable editor to manage little fragments of content that are reused around my site.

I've also updated this article on setting up client-side redirects to prevent linkrot:
http://www.pool-room.com/CodeCraft/CityDesk/Migrating.html

The template method at the bottom is the new bit.

Please let me know what you think!

Darren Collins
Thursday, July 04, 2002

I have just heard from someone who couldn't resolve my domain (www.pool-room.com). It changed servers last week, so there might be problems related to DNS update propagation.

If anyone has problems accessing it, could you please email me and let me know? It would help if you could tell me what country you're in, too.

Thanks.

Darren Collins
Thursday, July 04, 2002

No problem at 8:12 EDT in Atlanta, GA

tk
Thursday, July 04, 2002

Cannot use the links...or reach www.pool-room.com @ 11:10 p.m. Pacific Time - San Francisco Bay Area.

Guy Bjerke
Friday, July 05, 2002

Grrr. Murphy's Law is at work, I fear. Just a few short hours after I posted this topic, my host started having 'technical issues' and my site disappeared (along with all their other hosted sites, I suspect).

I'll post again when the site is back up.

Darren Collins
Friday, July 05, 2002

OK, things appear to be back to normal now. It turns out that my hosting provider forgot to pay for my domain name renewal. 'Technical issues' indeed!

Please check out the above articles and let me know what you think.

Darren Collins
Sunday, July 07, 2002

Thanx for your expalnation about dummy articles.

I have a different way of work for dummy articles. I use dummy articles for menu's and stuff. My keywords are directly used for meta tags, so I prefer not to use them internally. My solution was to have a 'empty' template which I assign to dummy articles. This will generate an empty file for the dummy article.

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, July 08, 2002

Adriaan, your "Empty" template is the same as my "Blank" template. But the problem is, if you have a loop on your main page to display links to the latest 5 articles, it will include links to dummy articles.

By making my loops exclude any article that contains the keyword "(NFP)", I can make sure they don't appear (as long as I remember to put that keyword into my dummy articles!).

Darren Collins
Monday, July 08, 2002

Sorry for not reading your article thorougly enough.

I don't have this problem; I forgot to mention that my dummies are all inside a directory which is also hidden for search engines. Since the foreach statement finds all filenames regardless of location it works.

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, July 09, 2002

One more thing: I have a folder "" condition in all scripts, which has a similar effect as your keywords. I just organize around folders whereas you use keywords. Same results.

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, July 09, 2002

Cool, now I understand.

I also thought about doing this using the Author field - articles with Authors get included in loops, but articles without Authors get left out. I usually leave Author blank on dummy articles, index pages, etc. I haven't tried it, though.

Despite using the "(NFP)" trick with my Keywords fields, I still include that field in each page's Keywords metatag in the HTML header. Do you think there's any problem with this, except for it being ugly?

Darren Collins
Tuesday, July 09, 2002

There is no problem in including such things, but I have my keywords tuned to the contents and I do quite a bit of optimizing for search engines. That includes limiting keywords to those actually matching the content.

I think the effect is small if you make sure the keywords enclosed in brackets are
* last in the list
* not the ones that you need hits on.

The hint in the citydesk help (enclosing all keywords with round brackets for keywords condition) is NOT a good thing for search engines.

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, July 10, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home