Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

I want a Linux version

Hey Joel UNIX is cool!  I want a Linux version.  Now I would prefer a version I could also run on Solaris at work but for now a Linux version would be nice.

Instead of JET you could use mySQL.  There are two major free widget sets to choose from GTK and QT  (Motif is nice too).  And you could use Perl as your scripting language.  Oh the possibilites.

And I would pay for it.

I haven't tried it under WINE (note to self try CityDesk under WINE).

Thanks!

Dennis Roberts
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

No:( It doesn't work with the latest version of wine (built today).

Dennis Roberts
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

The Fog Creek guys could spend months porting the current version of CityDesk to Linux, but I don't think there'd be much return on that investment. There just aren't anywhere near as many potential Linux customers as there are Windows customers. And while they're distracted and not adding features, someone else will knock off their idea and release a Windows application that addresses CityDesk's current shortcomings and we'd all switch to that. Look at what happened to Netscape when they stopped updating their browser for a while.

It'd be much more beneficial to spend that time getting some of the cool features we've discussed in this forum into CityDesk 2.0. Then they'd have a killer app, targeted at the single widest customer platform, with practically no competitors.

Porting to other platforms may become economically feasible later down the track, but for now I think they really need to focus their limited resources on seizing the market opportunity that's in front of them. Maybe once the money starts flowing in from all those Windows users, there'll be funds to hire some Linux geeks :-).

Darren Collins
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

1) If you have control of your *nix server, then why not run PHP? It would even give you the ability to update while away from your computer via an admin GUI. I hear great things about PHPNuke.

2) according to http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html only 1% of Google visitors are on Linux, compared to 90% on window and 4% on Mac (5% are on 'other').

If mine were a commercial software company, I would certainly be making products for Windows.

MarkTAW
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

I agree with all of your points.  I still want one though:)  And I do use PHP.  PHP is great - but I am looking for content managment.  The ability to make sweaping changes with a single click, templates, the built-in scripting.  Let's face it CityDesk is a great product.

I use Linux and have VMWare running Windows 2000.  I have two applications I use: MS Money and CityDesk.  I am moving to GNUCash right now.  I would just love to not have to use VMWare.

Oh well.

Dennis Roberts
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

1. Joel already wrote why there can't be any other version than windows soon :

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000296.html

read the paragraph n° 4.

2.  I have less than 1% of linux desktops among my website's visitors, and many sources report such figures about Linux-on-desktops market share. If I understood well Joel's math about economic interest of multiple platform developpement, it means that a Linux-version would be profitable only if the total cost of bringing CD to Linux was less than 1% of the original CD developpement.

If you change the source database, the scripting language, the API, how can you keep the cost of the port in such low proportions ?

Even as a mac owner, I admit that Darren is right, the fogcreek team must focus on improving CD for its largest potential customer base, windows users.

Vincent Bénard
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

And doesn't everything on Linux have to have that open source license?

As for paragraph 6 in the aforementioned article from Joel, isn't the text editor CityDesk uses a glorified version of the DHTMLEdit plugin for IE 5.x and above?

MarkTAW
Thursday, July 04, 2002

If Joel hadn't been a notorious Microsoft loyalist (and if I hadn't already read all the "Working on CityDesk" articles) I would've given a smart-ass reply like, "he should have used Borland Delphi/Kylix and dbExpress + Indy,  he could've had single-source,  cross-platform web/database connectivity and still an executable native client (no browser based blabla)".

But seeing as he is and I have, I won't. <g>

Kristofer Skaug
Monday, July 15, 2002

>And doesn't everything on Linux have to have that open >source license?

Nope. You are very free to create closed source software to Linux. I doubt Oracle open-sourced its 9i database when they made it available for Linux.

Kylix is another commercial application that is not open sourced, because open-sourcing Kylix would pretty much be open-sourcing Delphi for Windows. The compiler in those two products are pretty much the same product.

These are ofcourse not "mass market" products, and I for one would question the economic sanity in creating mass market applications like CityDesk. The potential market for CityDesk is very huge in comparison to both Kylix and Oracle 9i. Releasing CityDesk for Linux would not make economical sense.

Patrik
Thursday, July 18, 2002

[I for one would question the economic sanity in creating mass market applications like CityDesk. ]

I for one would question the economic sanity in creating mass market applications like CityDesk for Linux which is a non-mass-market OS.

Just to clarify that a bit :-)

Patrik
Thursday, July 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home