Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Japanese

How can I write a web page in Japanese?

I have the Japanese support installed on my (English) system. If I try to translate an article, using the nice split-screen feature, it seems to work fine at first: the Japanese characters appear quite beautifully.

But if I close and come back later, or even if I just switch over to HTML view for a moment, when I come back all I can see are a bunch of question marks. (The correct number of question marks, by the way: one for each Japanese character that I had typed.)

Alan Bram
Friday, June 28, 2002

The current version of CityDesk (1.0 SP1) does not support non-latin alphabets. This will be fixed in the upcoming service pack (no date announced, though).

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, June 30, 2002

Try running NJStar Communicator while running City Desk, I have never tried it but Communicator "asian-character set" enables every windows application I've ever tried. Word, Excel etc.

http://www.njstar.com/communicator/

The Japanese IME is a bit weird, but better than nothing.

Matthew Lock
Monday, July 15, 2002

Has this ever been resolved? I am trying to copy and paste Japanese chars into my translation window and they look great. But like the man said, when I close and come back, it's all question marks. This will not help my translator. I have Starter Edition Version 1.0.31, Build Date: 20020808A.

Tara
Friday, December 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home