Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

problem with multilingual sites

hello,

Citydesk seems to refuse to publish a secondary language if all the articles of the primary language have not been translated.

I've set up two publish locations, one for primary language (french), and one for english. If I leave just one primary article untranslated, citydesk seems to refuse to publish all the site in the "second language" publish location.

it's surprising, because it seems to work on joelonsoftware.com. I've surely made stg wrong. Has someone any Idea ?

Vincent Bénard
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

I've read this in the doc :

"CityDesk assumes that every article in your site needs to be translated to every language. If you only translate a subset of your site, you should create a separate CityDesk site file for that subset. Otherwise, you will receive warnings about articles being untranslated."

but how do you do for the Joel on software translation, that could be only progressive ? must you change the subset of files progressively ???

It would be nice if we could choose between articles that wll be translated and article that won't, xithout dealing with file subsets.

or have I missed something ?

Vincent Bénard
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

The next version of CityDesk (coming soon!) will support "sparsely translated sites" like Joel on Software. This is the version we have been calling SP2 but at this point it's got many new multilingual features so it may become CityDesk 1.5 or something.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, June 27, 2002

very good news !

Vincent Benard
Friday, June 28, 2002

Excellent news!  Can't wait to have CD 1.5 or whatever you decide to call it.  Joel, any idea as to what areas will have fixes or features?  There's been a few I've been waiting on....

--Zack
www.valleyofthegeeks.com

Zack Urlocker
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home