Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

multiple dispersed editors?

I'm considering citydesk for a site that has multiple editors that are geographically dispersed and not connected via a vpn or wan. Its a non-profit internet based website with a bunch of volunteers contributing and editing the content.

How could I best use citydesk in this scenario?  Ideas include:

1) somehow get everyone setup with vpn - yuck - and use citydesk's multi user mode
2) everyone runs citydesk single user and we pass the database around (we have a low update frequency so this is probably fine)
3) everyone runs citydesk single user but one person volunteers to merge and publish changes and redistribute the master database

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Michael Mee
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Clarification: When I say "a bunch", its really only going to be 3-5 active editors and probably another 10-20 who will do occaisional content work.

Michael Mee
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

I think you're better off to nominate a single editor that everyone else emails their content to.

Failing that, it might be OK to email the .cty file around or FTP it up to your web server (although it's hard to keep track of who has the latest version, and the file may get quite large).

I'd be interested to hear back about what you end up doing and how it works, as I'm setting up some resources to help non-profits use CityDesk effectively. Some stuff will be posted at www.pool-room.com over the next week or so.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

I'm with Darren.  Start with a single editor and email.  You can get started immediately because only one person has to learn CityDesk.

As a next step:  Send the willing authors their own .cty file that publishes to a subdirectory of the main site.  While this doesn't produce an "integrated" site, it allows the willing authors to learn CityDesk and to see for themselves how their articles will look.

For the editor in chief the subdirectories represent a staging area.  The other authors can preview each other's pages on the web.  The author can copy the content from the subdirectories into the main "integrated" site.

TK
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Hmmmm. Now if CityDesk could sync to an FTP server... Everyone already has access to the FTP server, where they publish to, so it would be a small matter to check the server for changes to the centralized dB.

This could be accomplished via XML files, which would imitate articles. One master XML file would be maintained as to who checked what out, and what files existed. When someone hit 'Publish' it would pull down the master XML file, check for changed files, pull those down, and generate the site.

Any time someone saved an article or template or variable, etc. it would get sent out to the main site. These updates could be stored on the local dB as well for later synchronization. (syncrhonisation?)

I think this could actually work.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

In the mean time, I agree with TK - single editor, or few editors in the same office.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home