Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Usability Bug: Mutual Exclusivity

In the Find Dialog:  How is it that "entire" is mutually exclusive from "Up" and "Down."  What does "Entire" mean?

If it means, "find within the entire article, not just the current selection" then "Entire" belongs in another drop-down list with "entire" and "selection" as the choices.  Also, then how does one only search within the currect selection.  There's no "not entire" choice anywhere.

If it doesn't mean that, then it's way too vague.  I can't figure out what "entire" does at all, as a matter of fact.

David Blume
Sunday, June 23, 2002

I always thought "entire" would do the whole document up, down and sideways.  I may be wrong but I think the search works on the whole document rather than the highlighted text.  The up/down stuff starts at the cursor.

tk
Sunday, June 23, 2002

I still don't get it.  Could you give me a recipe that illustrates how "entire" is a mutually exclusive choice from "up" and "down?"

Heck, I have a hard time specifying my current selection as the "specified region" for find.  It's possible, but now that I'm trying to do it, it's not working.

In another email, I mention that I don't use that feature (find only withing user specified region) anyway, and would prefer find to be a little different.  I'm just bugfinding.

David Blume
Monday, June 24, 2002

Simple say you have text

aa1 bb cc aa2 dd ee

and your cursor is just before bb.

If you search for aa and you have selected down:
the first time you press "Find Next", you will find aa2
the second time you press "Find Next", you will be prompted that you reach the end and if you want to start at the top.

Now if entire was selected instead:
the first time you press "Find Next", you will find aa2
the second time you press "Find Next", you will find aa1
(no prompt that you wrapped around)

Now up is just the reverse of down.

They all start at the cursor and search for all the text.
No concept of searching only the selected text.

So entire allows you to quickly browse the entire document without having to move your cursor from where you are at.
Down gives you the same behavior but then you have to click one extra "Yes".

Hope this helps

Sylvain
Monday, June 24, 2002

Yep.  Now I get it, and feel foolish.  Find works as designed in this regard.  Thanks for the clarification.

Of course, "entire" still may not be useful enough to bear out its existence.  I suggest Up and Down don't put up the (useless and costly) modal dialog at the beginning and ending of the document.

Personally, I'd drop the "end of specified region" modal dialog, too.  It's just as costly.  But that one has a little value if people write HUGE articles.  So at least that one's defensible.

David Blume
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home