Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

annoyancy: FTP publish window focus

Every time the publish to server starts with a new FTP session, it will give the Citydesk appliction and the Publish/ftp window focus. This is annoying since I want to work in the background. Everytime I happen to hit <enter> it will cancel the tranfer in progress.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, June 20, 2002

Randomly hitting 'enter' at every window that pops up is a bad habit.

MarkTAW
Thursday, June 20, 2002

Is typing text in applications not related to Citydesk or in Citydesk articles a bad thing?

The <Enter> I type is not meant for the publish or FTP window.... but it will arrive there when those windows get focus

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, June 20, 2002

i've noticed this too. I'll see what we can do. (Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if it's even possible to create a window without giving it focus.)

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, June 20, 2002

Oh, yeah I've had that happen to me. I remember back when I had AOL you'd be typing in one IM, end up in another IM and having sent half your message to someone who never should've received it.

CityDesk especially is a program that's prone to having you go type something after you hit publish.

How about creating the FTP window immediately when you hit publish, not later on.

MarkTAW
Friday, June 21, 2002

I remember a trick from my VB days where you could create a window but keep it invisible, and then just make it visible when it's needed. I don't think becoming visible steals focus. I'm not sure though...

Darren Collins
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home