Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How about a "save as" feature

Since we don't have an "undo" a save as would sure be nice.

Yes I copy my file before I do anything potentially dangerous but, even this is a little combersome without
a "save as."

RR

RR
Monday, June 17, 2002

In the main window, select an article, and hit ctrl-c (copy) ctrl-v (paste).  As a workaround it accomplishes the same thing (making a duplicate of your current article).  Hope that helps!

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, June 17, 2002

Thanks Michael,

I use copy and paste all the time but I was thinking of "save as" feature as a way to more easily save the .cty file so it could just be renamed each time you made a change. That would make it easier to always have a clean backup version in case the the changes I make in a later version makes a mess of things.

Ron

RR
Tuesday, June 18, 2002

I have lost 2 days of work once because of copying .cty files, so I agree.

There is no place where I can see the entire path of a CTY file, so I ended up working on a backup which was overwritten in my backup procedure....

Citydesk opens a file without asking ( I would prefer the dialog that opens first time or when the cty file can not be found).

Save-AS, simple backups and (zip&)email would be nice!

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, June 19, 2002

The same thing happened to me.

Your simple suggestions would help a great deal.

Ron

RR
Wednesday, June 19, 2002

But CD is meant to be a collaboration tool. Easily changing the location of the .cty file would not be good.

MarkTAW
Wednesday, June 19, 2002

If used as a collaboration tool (which I currently don't do) then version management and backup strategy is even more important!

Today Citydesk scared the living daylights out of me by crashing (the bug report dialog) and then telling me 'article has been deleted'  and then showing an EMPTY TREE
(luckily it was back after restarting Citydesk)

Since my website is contained in a 1.5MB database, I would like to have some versions to revert to if nescessary.

Opening the previous database is a nice feature for 'normal users' but not in design mode.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, June 20, 2002

Luckily, since CD was built as a collaboration tool, it doesn't actually 'open' the database file in question, it just access it. When CD crashes I don't worry about losing data.

I agree. Versioning would be great inside CityDesk. In the meantime, you can create an archive of .cty files easily enough with an RCS/CVS program such as CS-RCS ( www.componentsoftware.com ).

It doesn't take much space on the hard dive as it only saves the changes, not the whole file every time. Then you can roll back to an old version of the site, but not individal articles.

Alternately you can archive your site after it's been published and use it to reconstruct any individual articles you need to get back.

MarkTAW
Thursday, June 20, 2002

Eeks... archiving the website after publishing... guess you haven't seen the citydesk references in my site.... ;-)

The advantage of having a copy of the site (not in place) is that it is possible to copy/paste or drag&drop between Citydesk sites. It works fine for articles. Poor mans version control.

I archive to a compressed directory.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, June 21, 2002

I bet an RCS would work well, and be take up less space. Especially if the RCS directory is itself compressed.

MarkTAW
Friday, June 21, 2002

After experiencing the same problem as the guys above (opening CityDesk, working on a backup without realising it, losing lots of work), I never launch CityDesk from the Start Menu anymore. I always find my .cty file in Explorer and double-click on that.

Darren Collins
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

I do exactly the same as Darren, always find the right .cty file and open it.

Once I've made my changes, previewed and published, I close that instance of CityDesk and then copy the .cty file to a safe place (preferably to another networked machine).

If I haven't got access to another machine (working on my laptop say), I'll just right-click+drag+drop in the same directory, pick "copy here" and let explorer create a "Copy of filename.cty" or "Copy (2) of filename.cty" or "Copy (3) of filename.cty" (you get my drift). Instant version control! Once hooked back up to the network I'll save the .cty and optionally a couple of Copies to a safe place.

Ian Jones
Wednesday, July 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home