Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Somewhat Premature Critique

Thought I'd offer a premature critique of CityDesk.  I've only had about 6 hours experience with it (including content creation).

My site will be a single author blog site.  I'm simply a web hobbyist, and couldn't write standards conforming HTML to save my life.  (But, being a hobbyist, I still want to write the HTML.)

CON: When NOT creating content, I will use HTML View heavily, which prevents me from using Normal View if I like my own formatting.  (Hopefully though, template / webpage editing will diminish to nothing soon.)  I miss Normal View.

NEUTRAL: Letting CityDesk format my articles isn't that big a deal, since clever use of CSS and a FRAMESET can get me pretty close.

PRO: At the end of my simple day, how CityDesk really benefits me is automatically respinning the archives and index pages during the publish phase.  That would take two perl scripts I don't want to bother to write.  (And my hack to create the teasers would be inferior to CityDesk.)

So, I need to try out the trial version a bit more before deciding whether the benefit outweighs the disadvantage.

(Yes, there are plenty of features in CityDesk that I'm neglecting.  My review comes from my perspective and my very limited needs.)

David Blume
Thursday, June 13, 2002

In CityDesk the benefits outweighs the negative sides, but I agree that it would be a great improvement if CityDesk did not ruin your carefully typed html pages. For me this is wish number one (and the only one) for the next version.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, June 13, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home