Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug in resolving magic names?

I think I've found a bug in the conversion of magic names to relative URLs.

Here's the structure:

Index
    /contents/
          /cont02/
            articleOld
          /cont02a/
            articleNew

Now, articleNew appears both on the index page and as its own page. ArticleNew has a link to articleOld.

The link in articleNew to articleOld is correct on the index page (contents/cont02/articleOld.html), but on articleNew's own page, the relative URL CityDesk generates for the link is simply [articleOld.html] instead of [../../contents/cont02/articleOld.html]. In other words, CityDesk isn't distinguishing between the two directories.

Interestingly, if I change the directory name of cont02a to cont03, it all seems to work properly, suggesting that CityDesk is only parsing the first 6 characters of the directory name. I'd prefer not to have to change the directory name for already-published articles, but if that's necessary, I guess it's not the end of the world.

Pete Riis
Monday, June 10, 2002

Sorry, my indenting didn't carry over: "cont02" and "cont02a" are subdirectories of "contents"

Pete Riis
Monday, June 10, 2002

Looks like you are right.  As a workaround, rename the directories so that one directory name is not a substring of the other directory name.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, June 10, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home