Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Importing a CD site into CD

I have several smaller CD-sites that I want to put into one big CD-site, now that I have the Pro edition, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this – not a way that will preserve de file names and the 'article status' that is. I truly miss an 'Import CidyDesk Site'-button. Does anyone have a solution?

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, May 31, 2002

I'm guessing the answer here would be "Open the CityDesk file as an MS Access file and (do something) to merge them..." Not that I could do this myself...

MarkTAW
Monday, June 03, 2002

Thanks, I have reached that point too. I'll let you know if it works.

Jorgen Brenting
Monday, June 03, 2002

Well, it worked fine ... in Access. I renamed copies of the *.cty files and imported one into the other in Access. I could se the articles and all, but renamed and opened in CityDesk it was another matter. CD couldn't find the articles, only the maps that to CD was empty.
I think this is a REAL problem that the CityDesk folks should work with. The more you use CityDesk the more important it becomes to be able to do some kind of merging.

Jorgen Brenting
Monday, June 03, 2002

I just brute force imported 75 html files and who knows how many images into a CityDesk site.  It was awful but will be worth it in the end.

Dragging folders into CD is easy enough but unless you can turn html files into articles and generate magic names for images and internal links, you are worse off in CityDesk, you can't even see your images in the editor.

Importing a page at time - I don't even want to think about it - I'd import the spacer.gif 75 times.

I've got several others I want to import.  CityDesk will make managing them so much easier.  But I'm going to wait until the next big release.

tk
Monday, June 03, 2002

Add my vote for that feature.
I want to do the same thing.

Sylvain
Monday, June 03, 2002

I agree that a better importing mechanism might help. I've seen some based on complex regular expressions (pattern matching) that you can program to do things like identify the navbar as opposed to the article, and bring the articles in as articles.

Integration with Dreamweaver Templating would be a big boon as well. I'm sure there's a clumsy way this could be done, but it shouldn't be clumsy.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

The best way to merge two CityDesk sites seems to be to open the first in CityDesk and the second in Explorer (side by side) and use ctrl-C and ctrl-V to copy articles, files etc into CityDesk in the same pattern as the appeared in the original site. Do NOT copy/insert folders. All new folders should be created in CityDesk and get their files etc. in the way just described. Non-English letters disappears in this process and some files have to be renamed back to their original name (at least in Windows 2000) if this is the case. It's not much fun, but it works.

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Sorry. In the above text 'CityDesk and Explorer' should of course have read 'CityDesk and a second CityDesk' opened side by side ...

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Sad story continued: ... and then there are all the relative links, that no longer apply because of the (new) Magic names ... Well, this can be done manually too of course.

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, June 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home