Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

index.html vs Index.html

Version 1.0.29.

With the new ability to use article names for the html file names, I have now made my Index page an article rather than an HTML file. This of course now uses a template which is great.

However, when I first did this is used "Index" (capital I) and this generated a page with a heading "Complete Site Index" rather than the contents of my index file. When I changed the name of my article to start with a lowercase "i", it generated the html file I expected.

This can be duplicated with a new site as follows:

Create new Site
Preview - all looks fine
Change default "index" article to "Index" (just capitalise first letter)
Preview again - Complete Site Index

Am I going mad?

Neil Attard

Neil Attard
Friday, May 31, 2002

On windows, you can get away with naming your file Index.html, but most web servers that host your files use apache and they are installed on unix machines where the os is case sensitive.  Unless the web site admin went out of his/her way to make Index.html be ok to be used, it won't work.  You should just leave it as lowercase index.html.

On that same vein, when you don't have an index.html file we create one for you when you preview your site (otherwise we don't know what to show you when you just hit preview.. do we show you your first article? the second article? the image in the pictures folder? so we make a listing so that you can look over your site).
It won't be published when you publish though.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, May 31, 2002

Thanks for the information Michael. However, I am publishing to IIS and this page certainly IS being published. Perhaps your index.html is overwriting my Index.html because Windows is not case sensitive?

I will use lower case and it wont be a problem, but I just mention it to ensure that others don't get caught the same way.

Neil Attard
Friday, May 31, 2002

Yep, good point.. that is what is happening. It gets overwritten because Windows is not case sensitive.  I'll send a note to development.  Thanks for the pointer!

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, May 31, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home