Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Install Problem on Win2k server

We have installed Citydesk Professional & Home versions on a Win2k server. The application starts OK and comes up with the create a new site / open an existing site dialog. However can't get beyond that.

If you choose create a new site it lets you create the site but then gtes stuck at that dialog.

If you choose open an existing site and try and open the site you just created (or one created with Citydesk on anther machine) it says the file is corrupt and can't be opened.

I think the problem may be something to do with permissions on the server?

Iain Forsyth
Thursday, May 30, 2002

When you say "it gets stuck at that dialog" do you mean it just hangs?  Or does an error message pop up?

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 30, 2002

It runs fine on my Win2K.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 30, 2002

Sorry should have been clearer, the dialog itself reposnds - you just can't get past it to the main Citydesk interface,

Create new appaers to let you save a site but then just goes back to the dialog

Open existing says the site is corrupt when it isn't.

Help launches help OK

Iain Forsyth
Friday, May 31, 2002

A further clue; works ok if you are actually running it on the server as Administrator, but not for any other user, we have granted the user full rights.

Iain Forsyth
Friday, May 31, 2002

I wish I had $1 for every application that didn't work correctly without being admin. That's a pet peeve of mine. Microsoft more or less mandates you be an admin of your own box if you're developing, because of debugging security. As such, virtually every developer in the world tests their code with admin rights (I'm guilty of this many times over).

Something even so simple as opening the registry hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE requesting "all" permission instead of "read" permission -- when you only intend to read -- will cause failure for non-admins. Been there, seen that. :-p

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CityDesk help forum...

Brad Wilson
Friday, May 31, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home