Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

"Printer ready"

Someone asked me to modify my site so that each article showed up not only in the full-graphic version but also in a minimum-graphic "printer ready" version. He wanted me to have a link on each full-graphic page to the printer-ready page.

Seems to me as if that means rendering the article twice, with two different templates and one template containing a link to the other, and right now that doesn't seem to be possible.

I'm not massively put out by this (it's not high urgency for me), but it does seem like something others might want later; it may be an interesting V2 feature to consider. Right off I have no idea how it would be done.

Steven C. Den Beste
Friday, May 17, 2002

It is possible since service pack one. you can do it so :

select a publish location for your normal version
for instance www.yoursite.com

create a second template family (e.g. "print versions") and set up for this template family a new publish location, for instance www.yoursite.com/printversions/

then, articles in the two templates families will have the same path from the origin of every publish location.

so you can use the cityscript variable {$.abslink$} to create the link (since the service pack 1 version)

syntax: on the normal page
<a href="www.yoursite.com/printversions/{$.abslink$}">printer friendly </a>

on the printerfriendly page,
<a href="www.yoursite.com/{$.abslink$}">normal version</a>

Vincent Bénard
Friday, May 17, 2002

It is possible; that is the advantage of template families.
Check the help Creating Templates->Using template families. That should do the trick.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, May 17, 2002

In ALISTAPART there is an article by Eric Meyer showing how to use stylesheets to do what you need:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/goingtoprint/

Joel Goldstick
Friday, May 17, 2002

Yeah, if you're using CSS 2 (and especially XHTML), then it's trivial to get printable versions of a page that look very, very different, just using stylesheets. Of course, the browser needs to be smart enough to apply the printable version of the stylesheet, which means this technique is only appropriate for the "v6" browsers, mostly (IE5 can do it, but it's still very troublesome).

I do it on my site. Just visit any page w/ a V6 browser, and then do a print preview on that page.

http://www.quality.nu/

Brad Wilson
Friday, May 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home