Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Export pages from citydesk 'unmerged'

Is there anyway to export pages from citydesk 'unmerged'.  I use Citydesk to manage my articles but want to keep managing other areas of my site (which are more static) in Dreamweaver.  I want to put all the files from within my Citydesk site into Dreamweaver to use its powerful site management tools and so would be handy to be able to export pages with CityScript tags in place.

David Brewster
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "unmerged." But I think you could accomplish what you want by creating a publish location using "file copy" and have CityDesk publish its stuff into a directory on your hard drive which is a subdirectory of the main site managed by Dreamweaver.

Alternately you can import the static files into CityDesk as-is and use the "edit with dreamweaver" command in CityDesk to edit them.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

That's funny, i do it the other way around. If i need to edit the HTML of an article in away that's too advanced for the CityDesk editor, I go into the HTML and copy/paste...

Rightclicking on templates and normal .html files should give you a 'edit with...' option that lets you select dreamweaver.

This way the more static sections of the site - navigation, etc. can be edited in DW.

DW has some good site management features, but what do they do for you that CityDesk doesn't do?

MarkTAW
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

This week I ended up trying to "break" a Dreamweaver user.  I don't know much about DW but my issue was this:  I showed her that if she could give up a little of the complexity in the appearance of her pages, she could save huge amounts of time by using CityDesk articles instead.

This story hasn't ended yet ...

tk
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home