Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk Upgrade information

I've just upgraded from the free version and am
at the screen for download (7.8 MB) but have not
been informed if:

(a) I need to download it (would I not just have
some way of activating the free version to 500 files?)

(b) if it will overwrite my current settings or not

PLEASE REPLY SOON!!!

Darren.

Darren ANdrews
Thursday, May 09, 2002

Just download and install over your existing copy. I've had no problems upgrading and it doesn't lose any of your settings.

John C
Thursday, May 09, 2002

Is fogcreek set up to resume downloads when Internet connections are broken?

It's very annoying that some downloads do not do this, especially when Internet connections are not stable enough (generally) to stay connected for the time it would take an average modem to download 8 megs..

Surely there is a way of jusy unlocking the free version???

Joel?

Darren.

Darren ANdrews
Thursday, May 09, 2002

Unfortunately it is not possible to "unlock" the starter edition.  It is a completely different program than the Home and Professional edition.

If you continually have trouble downloading from our web site, contact us via email and we'll try to figure out some other way to get the program to you.  Downloading from our website is currently the easiest way.

Customer Service
Thursday, May 09, 2002

There have been some legendary cases where the free trial version of some program actually included all the code, with some switch somewhere that said, "I'm not really the full version". Someone will figure out where that switch is and figure out how to patch to change it, and suddenly the company's business model goes into the toilet as lots of potential customers patch the free version and use it instead of actually purchasing the full product.

As a result, most savvy companies now who issue trial versions of their programs will make sure that it is physically impossible to make such a patch, by deliberately leaving out some code in the trial version. This is a feature, not a bug -- a feature, from the point of view of the company, because it means that they can't be killed off commercially by some clever hacker. (At least in this particular way.)

Steven C. Den Beste
Thursday, May 09, 2002

Funny, pirated software runs rampant in certain industries, but doesn't ruin the business model for, say Adobe, Macromedia, or Microsoft.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, May 14, 2002

According to Netcraft:

The site www.fogcreek.com is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000.

So, yes, it supports resumable HTTP transfers.

Brad Wilson
Sunday, May 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home